What are BEAD LOCKS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are BEAD LOCKS?

I have seen some rims and they look nice, i think I read them as being bead locks. What the heck does this type wheel do and is it worth it? does it mean that the wheel has screws to hold the bead of the tire from turning?????? is this safe??
Thanks

Old 10-29-2005, 01:05 AM
beadlocks have an extra piece of metal on the edge that is screwed into the rim (not tire) this metal circle holds your tire in tight so if your offroading the bead cannot pop off. you should check state law before purchase they are illegal in some states.
_dan

Old 10-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks BMX150 appreciate the info. I think they look good on some wheels. I'll check laws around here. Thanks again

Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 AM
well, I was looking at wheels and read that Bead locks are illegal in all 50 states.

Daytona 15" BeadLook Wheels.
First things first.... Beadlock wheels are illegal in all 50states. While the competition buggys can run them because they're not street licensed, those of us who don't own trailer queens cannot legally run them.

http://rocky-road.com/wheels.html

and this very informative site for those with questions about beadlocks.

http://high-impact.net/whyarebeadloc...0a%20beadlock?

Old 10-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of wheel companies now make wheels with simulated beadlocks or styling rings. These are very popular now in off road style wheels, like mine. Real beadlocks are illegal for highway use because they constantly work loose and need to be retightened regularly. You would not want a real beadlock on a daily driver.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
A lot of wheel companies now make wheels with simulated beadlocks or styling rings. These are very popular now in off road style wheels, like mine. Real beadlocks are illegal for highway use because they constantly work loose and need to be retightened regularly. You would not want a real beadlock on a daily driver.

there are 2 companys that make D.O.T. legal beadlocks but they are very pricey, i was looking at getting a set but the price was way to high for the street legal ones i will find out who makes the D.O.T. aproved real beadlocks and post the companys on monday

Old 10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right. I forgot that Walker Evans makes a DOT approved beadlock.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Well, I was looking at the walker Evans and after carefully reading their description they state that beadlock wheels are illegal in ALL states and that their "STREET" wheels have a "Beauty ring" to "Give the look" of a Walker Evans beadlock, so I am assuming that these are not actual Beadlock wheels either. Here is the info.

http://www.walkerevansracing.com/street.wheels/

Still Looking

Quick Reply: What are BEAD LOCKS?