Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise

My 2005 F-150 recently recieved a brand new set of 17x10 Weld Rims mounted on BFG 275/70/R17 All terrains. Anyways, yesterday, I heard a clicking noise coming from my right front tire. It sounds like a rock stuck in the tire. Being so, I took all of the rocks out, and still...the same pebble noise. Anyways, i left the truck at the dealership today and picked it up 8hrs later having them tell me they heard no such noise. I then asked to speak to the shop manager and had him listen as i took my truck out of park, and let my truck idle roll about 25ft. The clicking was apparent. I dont know if it's something rubbing on the rim or what, but it's quite annoying. Any suggestions????

Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Weld rims with the cone caps and had the same problem. Being frustrated with not being able to find the cause, I REALLY tightened the caps taking out my frustration on those, and now the sound is gone. Not exactly a good story for anger management, but it found the cause. Over time the sound came back, so I removed the caps, and ran white electrical tape along the thin rim of the cap that presses against the wheel. Half of the tape is pressed inside the cap and I trimmed against the rim with scissors the half that would have shown on the outside. I replaced the caps and have never heard the sound again. The pliability of the tape keeps the two pieces of rubbing causing that sound. I sure there are more professional ways to fix it, but this will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise