clicking / clunking upon pedal depression

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clicking / clunking upon pedal depression

A couple of weeks ago, I had my brakes serviced at my local ford dealer. I have a 99 F150 XL SC 4x4. Since shortly after retrieving my truck, there is a readily apparent clicking / clunking sound coming from the right front of the vehicle whenever I depress the brake pedal.

Because the brakes had just been serviced, I made the assumption that something has gone awry since then, and returned the truck to the dealer for appropriate rework.

The dealer claimed that the brakes have nothing wrong with them, and pointed me to a service bulletin that refers to a clicking on low speed turns on 4x4 F150s, and requires some adhesive to be applied to the frame and crossmember (from memory). I have not noticed my problem during any turns, it is clearly associated with braking. I did not opt for the $600 labor they quoted to perform this adhesive process.

Does anyone have any ideas as to possible cause of this sound? Would a second opinion from a more knowledgable service center be my best option? I've otherwise not had any issue with this dealer's service department. But, this one bugs me.
Ideas appreciated. I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

Gregg

Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Think about it like this. My ford dealer didn't have the part to fix the CC recall on my navigator. I called to schedule to get it unplugged, they wanted half a day with it. Later on, I found out behind the scenes that the service dept wants a half day to unplug that sensor to "upsell" you on other things.

Don't always believe what the dealer tells you. They are just like any other shop, and given the opportunity, they will shaft you just as fast. Take it to someone (preferably someone you know) and have them take a quick looksee at it, and maybe its something easily found that Ford just doens't want to fix

Old 10-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Does this happen once when you move forward, and once when you put it in reverse?

Old 10-23-2005, 09:08 AM
No, it happens each time I depress the brake pedal. Direction of travel does not appear to affect it.

-Gregg

Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
I am having the same clicking/clunking noise.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 PM
found problem...caliper was not completely tight.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Clunking

I have a 1997 f-150. About the same problem. I jacked up the truck and held the top of the tire and tried moving it back and forth. It moved a little. It was the hub assembly. The bearing was bad and you have to change the whole hub assembly. About $200.00 for the part. Easy fix.
Jason

Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I have the same issue - essentially it sounds like a metallic "clamping" sound after applying the brake - not right after but soon after.

OK, based on the responses thus far, I need to get the hub looked at and the caliper.

Great - just what I want for Christmas!! :santa:

Quick Reply: clicking / clunking upon pedal depression