Caliper problem??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper problem??????

I have a quick question and figured that this might be the best place to post my problem. I just did my brakes - pads and rotors - nothing crazy. I did both front and rear. Now, my truck is pulling to the left, most of the time. Sometimes its fine and other times its more evident. Under braking, it is the same thing.

Are my caliper slides sticking? I lubricated and cleaned all of them. Could it be a bad caliper? Everything was fine before I changed the rotors and pads with the exception of a shot rear left rotor. Should I bleed the brakes as this is the only thing I haven't done, but I figured since I didn't let any air in the lines they would be OK.

The only other thing I am thinking is I installed new shoes for the parking brake and maybe one side is tighter then another - but wouldn't it be a consistent pull.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Rob B

Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only other thing I am thinking is I installed new shoes for the parking brake and maybe one side is tighter then another - but wouldn't it be a consistent pull.

if its pulling to one side its in the fronts...the rears would just smoke

jack the truck up (front) one wheel at a time and see if one is dragging..
when you install new pads without replacing the caliper the piston bore in the caliper may be worn "outtaline" causing the new pads to be in "crooked" and now dragging

post results
...zap!

Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Thats a great idea...will let you know what I find out tomorrow. Thanks zap, I appreciate your help. Rob B

Old 10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had more than one caliper fail (piston hang up) after a brake job - causing one side or another to drag. This of course will lead to a pull to one side or another. I'd suggest a simple test. Drive the vehicle for several miles, then brake gently to a stop. Now get out and carefully feel each wheel. Is one wheel hotter than the others? There's your culprit. Now you have to find out what's causing it to hang up. That could be sliders, a caliper, etc. Find out where the problem is first, then find out what.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with 2stroked on this one.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Sometimes when you push the piston back in the caliper, you can push it too far. It'll pull the rubber boot out of it's groove causing it to stick. Do as 2stroked says.

Quick Reply: Caliper problem??????