Input on rims please....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Input on rims please....

I have a black on black 05 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 w the 2" leveling kit. I was thinking about getting some rims and wanted to stay w the stock height, what do you think about 18x7 Mickey Thompson Classic II's (AKA big bullet holes)?
-Also, I like the 10" wide look but Ive been down that road w the ball joint issues and dirty all the time.
thanks for the input, M.Reeves

Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the 10 inch wide wheels I've seen for the new F-150's don't have enough backspacing and stick way outside the fenderwells.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Is this the setup you're talking about?

Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
thanks

f150duke,
yes, thats very similar and my truck is bascially the twin to yours. We also have 2 identical f-150s as well. I like the door handles too, the all chrome handle is too much against black but looks good against red and white IMO. Man, is that a lift or leveling kit, I can hardly tell it looks so good!
thanks for the input, M.Reeves

Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 PM
lol, it's actually photoshoped on their by josiah. He did an awesome job. I'd need a leveling kit to get those tires on. But actually my truck sits extremely level already. The front is only an inch lower than the back, so the rake isn't very noticeable. I don't want to go with a setup that needs a leveling kit because of the wear it puts on the springs and control arm. I also would have to take my rims off in the winter because of the salt of up here eating at chrome rims. Leveling kits on stock rims and tires just don't look right. The handles are the LT handles that came off a LT, so the handle itself is the only thing that is chrome and not the bucket.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Some people may not agree, but I have found that chrome is the best way to go. I have polished aluminum, and they required 4 hours of my time once a month to keep looking nice. With chrome, a quick squirt of glass cleaner and a towel and they are clean. But thats just MHO

Old 10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Some people may not agree, but I have found that chrome is the best way to go. I have polished aluminum, and they required 4 hours of my time once a month to keep looking nice. With chrome, a quick squirt of glass cleaner and a towel and they are clean. But thats just MHO
I completely agree with you! However, in the winter up north it's a different story. Chrome will starting pitting if you don't clean it off every three days. That's just on rims, the rest of the stuff (bumpers, step ups, and handles are fine). I was originally thinking a setup like the picture above, but since the rims and tires will have to come off in the winter snow, I going to look for a more street tire and rim, while still keeping the 4X4 theme.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Is this the setup you're talking about?

That picture is the way I want my truck to look accept with the HD grill. Im looking for rims to replace my stocks and I dont want to swap out wheels for the winter I also want a simple rim that is easy to clean. Chrome is not an option here, my friend has 2 trucks and one of his set of rims are ready for the garbage after 2 years and he cleans them every 2 weeks. Does any one have a real picture of that truck with 17-18s on 33 or 35s w/ 2'' leveling kit.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
That picture is the way I want my truck to look accept with the HD grill. Im looking for rims to replace my stocks and I dont want to swap out wheels for the winter I also want a simple rim that is easy to clean. Chrome is not an option here, my friend has 2 trucks and one of his set of rims are ready for the garbage after 2 years and he cleans them every 2 weeks. Does any one have a real picture of that truck with 17-18s on 33 or 35s w/ 2'' leveling kit.
I'm pretty sure those tires and rims would fit with a 2" leveling kit, though it would be very close. Just have to be well aware of the dangers that come with a 2" leveling kit. So do you live where it snows too? I don't know what else those rims are made out of besides chrome or how that would look. Definitely wouldn't be as reflective though.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure those tires and rims would fit with a 2" leveling kit, though it would be very close. Just have to be well aware of the dangers that come with a 2" leveling kit. So do you live where it snows too? I don't know what else those rims are made out of besides chrome or how that would look. Definitely wouldn't be as reflective though.
I live where we get a far amount of snow and the streets are salted a lot. Chrome will pit in no time even with me cleaning them all the time. I saw some in polished aluminum that looked good. What tire and rim size would that be? Im also looking at the Skyjacker 3'' lift but will not get that until after the wheels and tires. Like most people money is tight. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I live where we get a far amount of snow and the streets are salted a lot. Chrome will pit in no time even with me cleaning them all the time. I saw some in polished aluminum that looked good. What tire and rim size would that be? Im also looking at the Skyjacker 3'' lift but will not get that until after the wheels and tires. Like most people money is tight. Thanks for your input.
They look like the 18" mickey tompsons, with 35s but I'll follow up to know for sure. I'm personally going to get some chrome rims and then swap for stockers in the winter when the start salting to avoid pitting. But that means I have to rule out anything that needs a lift.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
They look like the 18" mickey tompsons, with 35s but I'll follow up to know for sure. I'm personally going to get some chrome rims and then swap for stockers in the winter when the start salting to avoid pitting. But that means I have to rule out anything that needs a lift.
I had chrome on an older car and swore I would never get them again but if you are going to swap rims then you should b ok. If the 35s are going to be to big or even close I will just get the next size down from that. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Input on rims please....