Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise

Several times over the past week I heard what sounded like the front brake was grinding, or scraping when I applied the brakes. I first heard it while driving slow in a parking lot and I though maybe I ran over a loose object. Today while driving at highway speeds I heard a loud scraping/grinding noise from the front wheel. The brakes worked fine, but I was concerned as my truck is 1 year old and has only 11000 miles. Has anyone heard of a similar problem. Dealer is closed till Tuesday due to the Holiday and Im without a vehicle.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:42 AM
front pads may be worn out... if ur heavy on the brakes their shot... dont drive it too much til u look cuz u can heat up and warp the rotors... theres a lil metal bar that hits the rotor to squeek when the pads are almost shot.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Could be pad are worn if you are really hard on them. You should be bale to check for wear easily by looking thru the wheel at the outside of the rotor and see if you have groves devloping. You can check the back side by looking from underneath. Some time the pads will have "hard spots " ( for lack of a better term) in them that will give the feel of grinding but passes with a little time.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:54 PM
I checked in another topic, and found what may be the problem. The vacuum line for the 4X may be losing vacuum and the hubs may be trying to engage while driving.

Last edited by leo231; 10-09-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise