Lubricating caliper slides?

Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubricating caliper slides?

OK, service book says to lubricate brake calipers. Can this be done without removing them, and what is the proper lubricant to use? I would think a grease would attract dirt and cause problems. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Yes, they have to be removed to clean and lube them.

I use a silicone-based product called SYLGLIDE available from NAPA, among other places. The Ford service documentation, undoutedly, gives the recommended lubricant.

Steve

Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Grease !!!

Ford part number xg 3 a silicone and dielectric compound

Old 09-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Almost always a high temp silicone grease of some kind. Prob. one of the most important parts of brake service as it not only insures even wear but reduces noise.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
The silicon lubricants have a limited life. I have heard, but have not tried yet, that the best thing to use is a bolt anti-sieze compound.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:36 PM
You don't want to use never seize on your brakes, it is petroleum based and will attack the rubber. This is why silicone grease is used on brakes, spark plug boots and such, it does not harm rubber.
Scott

Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Some things people post just scare me, but I have had others react that way to what I've recommended.

+1 on NOT using anti-sieze.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never Sieze has got to be about the most misunderstood product out there. People use it for all sorts of things that it shouldn't be used for. Here's a perfect example of that. Besides, regular NS will not perform its mission in high temperature applications. Fortunately, there's no heat involved in the brake system!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Rix150

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Never Sieze has got to be about the most misunderstood product out there. People use it for all sorts of things that it shouldn't be used for. Here's a perfect example of that. Besides, regular NS will not perform its mission in high temperature applications. Fortunately, there's no heat involved in the brake system!
Thanks to all regarding the use of anti-sieze on sliding rail calipers. That exact lube was recommended to me long ago by a mechanic. I have used anti-sieze on that type of caliper for about 15 years without any problem, but your point is well taken and I think I'll head to NAPA and try some Sylglide. I have been cleaning and re-lubing every 5000 miles the brakes on my 1993 Ranger 4X4 and there seems to be no negative effects, but if something is better I'll try it. My new truck, an '05 Supercrew, is only 5K old, so I'll get a manual and do proper brake maintenance when the time comes. And, yes, I know the sliding calipers are gone now, but I won't use anti-sieze in any case.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Interesting comment..... but it's funny how the factory is now using it as an anti-corrosion agent on the back of the rotor where it meets the hub.... What do they know??

-Joe

Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, but an "anti-corrosion agent" is not the same as an "anti- sieze agent." I've seen plenty of rusted parts that were coated with NS. Siezing up due to corrosion is different than siezing up due to galling.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And most brake rotors that are coated with an anti-corrosion agent somehow require a 10-lb sledge hammer to remove them from the hub thanks to rust. :dunno

I'll stick with anti seize, thanks.

When you get down to it, anything that prevents a ferrous surface can be called an anti-corrosion agent..... alloy/TiN coatings, rubber covers, plastic bags, cosmolene, paint, under-coating, bee's wax.... you name it.

We did some pretty extensive testing on anti-corrosion coatings to prevent the rotors from seizing to the hubs on the new F-series. We found that a thin layer of anti-seize between the hub face and the rotor worked better than any other coating.

-Joe

Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I have used anti-seize for years on brake parts, never once had an issue. I do brakes in my shop, and use anti-seize here too, again never had an issue.

Anti-seize will serve the purpose just fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lubricating caliper slides?