Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings

I know that this is going to sound like a totally newbie question but could anyone tell me where i could find wheel bearings for my truck.. I have a 2000 F150 XLT 2wd with ABS.

The reason why i ask is because the place that said that they would do my wheel bearings also wanted to charge me $320 dollars to do the work.

Any help that you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. If anyone has a guide to replace these it would be a great help to me.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Wheel Bearings

Auto Parts Stores; AutoZone, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc should have them in stock. If you are mechanically inclined, I say go for it. If not just pay someone. Buy a repair manual for your truck. The manuals outline the steps pretty well as well as include photos. I would like to suggest if you do it to go ahead and do a brake job since you have to remove the calibers and rotors to replace the bearings. Just save yourself the time of having to do it later. Check the races inside the rotors for pitting or scarring. Also replace the grease seals instead of trying to save the old ones. Hope that helps you.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Okay i wanted to replace my rotors and my pads because i have been told that i need to but i have looked around here and it is lookin to be alot of trouble. I dont know how the bleed the rake lines and all of that. i am definetly mechanically inclined but i have read aot of the guides here and it doesnt seem extremely easy

BTW. thanks so much for your help.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
You are welcome.
It is guess what I would consider a moderate level job, not easy but not difficult. It just depends on your place in life, if you have the money and don't want to fool with it. Then have someone else do it. If you are not financially secure like the rest of us and have a weekend to set aside and take pride in what you do and can talk the wife into spending what you saved by doing it self into new speakers, dual exhaust, etc, go that route. One thing I forgot, there is a sequence for setting or torqueing the rotors where the bearings are not loose or too tight that the manuals should cover. Basically you tighten the nut inside the rotor while turning the rotor by hand until it is hard to turn the rotor then you ease off the nut.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Thank you again for all of your help. Yeah i am one of those starving college students just trying to get the necessities put on the truck. Anyone in the Southern California area wanting to help me out (i will Pay). any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM
There were many things I wouldn't do before.
This site gives you confidence to tackle many things.

So far I have:
- changed trans fluid
- changed front brakes & bearings
- modded the 7 pin trailer connector
- changed fuel filter
- changed shocks

I have yet to change the front tie-rod ends and do the blank odometer fix, but I have no qualms about doing it myself.

I would highly recommend getting a Chilton's or other repair manual. Used in conjunction with F-150 Online, you can do a lot more than you think.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Well thank you very much i might actaully attempt doing this i might need some help so i am relying on you guys heree at f150online lol

Old 09-25-2005, 08:54 PM
i bought all of the necessary parts the other day and will be installing next weekend everyone wish me luck

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings