Rotor Repalcement can't remove snap ring help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor Repalcement can't remove snap ring help!

I'm in the process of changing out rotors and pads and I can't get the snap ring off so I can remove my bearings. Whats the trick to get this off? I have a 93 f150 4x4 w/auto hubs. Thanks

Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 PM
There are 2 snap rings, an outer snap ring on the axle stub and a inner snap ring that holds the auto hub in the spindle hub. The axle one is easy with snap ring pliers. The second one is a little more difficult. Use a dental pick to get under it, a small screw driver to keep it from spinning. Use the pick and get under it and around to get it out of the grove. I made one just for the purpose mentioned. It will need a slight bend in the tip so as it lifts the ring it can also pull it out of the grove.

good luck....it is time consuming.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just in case anyone else ever does this I took an awl, bent it 90 degrees and filed it to a nice fine point. Using vice grips and a hammer I was able to drive the awl under the locking ring and slowly work it out. Not an easy job! Very time consuming. So far I have finished the rotor install and pads. I then went to install the new mile marker hubs and found out that I have to remove the lock ring and retainer ring again to install the new maunaul hubs.!! I had to bring the old rotor and hub to a local shop to have them seperated. Big job, one side done!

Old 09-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Most autopart stores sell a set of picks with various bends for like $5 they come in handy

Old 09-24-2005, 09:17 AM
You can press out the studs yourself with a big hammer and a very large punch. Then reverse the process to install them after replacing the new rotor on the hub.

I use an old king pin.....it can chip....but be careful....wear safety goggles.

Quick Reply: Rotor Repalcement can't remove snap ring help!