Tire Wear....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Wear....

I could use some help here. I have a 2004 SuperCrew that came with BFG tires. 17K miles on the tires and they looks really bad. My last BFG's on my 02 F150 seemed to last longer. What should I expect to get out of them and is anything crazy causing them to wear faster?

Thanks

Last edited by RollingRock; 09-12-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keeping the vehicle alianment true and rotating the tires regular intervals will make them las a long time i have seen the BFG AT last 60,000 miles this way, try cross rotation also, was it wearing evenly? how did the wear look like?

Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Tire rotation works as advertised

I will add proper inflation to the list

Old 09-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys

I should have put more detail in my post. Tires are rotated every 5-7K miles. Truck is in proper alignment, at least in my opinion and as for tire pressure, i have the values that give me Green, Yellow or Red indication of tire pressure.

they seem to be wearing evenly but when I compare them to what my old BFG's looked like with 27K on them, they seemed to have more left than my current tires. I have been Dove hunting 2 weekends in a row so maybe all the dust just makes them look bad.

My truck was one that was affected by the vibration. Ford recently installed, new rack and pinion, new drive shaft and some other things. Wondering if the vibrations caused excess tire wear.
Thoughts on that?

Thanks again

Old 09-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 40k on my BFG AT KO's and I fully expect to get another 20k. Also, I wouldn't trust those tire valves to be accurate.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Ditto on the tire valves...I remember seeing a few posts a month or so back talking about how they tend to leak or fail completely.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
Ditto on the tire valves...I remember seeing a few posts a month or so back talking about how they tend to leak or fail completely.
Thanks for that....do you guys have advice on the electronic air pressure gauges?

any good, or use the good ol fashioned kind.

Thanks folks

JP AKA RollingRock

Old 09-13-2005, 12:50 AM
JP...most of the digital ones are fine for our trucks. They work in .5 intervals and are usually accurate enough for street and off road. Expect to pay about $15-$20. I keep a digital in my truck. On the other hand, I keep a Longacre liquid-filled guage in the trunk of my Bimmer. But I autocross with that beast and constantly fiddle with tire pressure. I can't remember how much the Longacre was...maybe $50...but again...that is overkill for a truck.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by ErnScott
JP...most of the digital ones are fine for our trucks. They work in .5 intervals and are usually accurate enough for street and off road. Expect to pay about $15-$20. I keep a digital in my truck. On the other hand, I keep a Longacre liquid-filled guage in the trunk of my Bimmer. But I autocross with that beast and constantly fiddle with tire pressure. I can't remember how much the Longacre was...maybe $50...but again...that is overkill for a truck.
Thanks much for that...i will pick one up on Tuesday...I know I am running too much air in the tires...and I am a cyclist, i know better.
JP

Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Thanks for that....do you guys have advice on the electronic air pressure gauges?

any good, or use the good ol fashioned kind
We bought my dad a digital one a few years ago, and the heat finally got to it (LCD screen got messed up). He ended up just buying a good old mechanical one instead.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 AM
I work for Discount Tire Co. I have seen too many cars come in with flat tires due to the Plastic "Red, Yellow, Green" Caps failing. The plastic pieces can break off and your tire will immediatly deflate. I would not trust them. As far as the bad wear....you say you rotate every 5-7 k. Diddo.

However, what are your driving habits? Do you make fast turns? Turn you wheel without moving? Take off fast at green lights? Good driving habits contribute to the excessive wear of tires.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear....