frozen brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frozen brakes

If I do not use my 2000 f-150 for a short period of time( 1 week) the brakes freeze and the truck will not move. It even happened after just 2 days once and I have never had this problem before with any vehicle. I am dissapointed with this truck, this is just one problem but there has been many others. I bought this truck new, no more fords probally after this one. Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

Old 09-05-2005, 12:27 AM
When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed?
Brake fluid absorbs water and will cause rust in the brake system. This is the reason it should be flushed every year. If rust developes in the brakes system it can cause part failure like a sticking caliper or master cylinder.

It also will happen in any make vehicle...Ford..Chevy..Dodge...even a Toyota!

Unfortunately it is one of those maintenance items that most people do not do, or put off until there is a brake component failure.

To determine what is stuck, jack up each corner and see which don't move. If all 4 are stuck it is in the ABS valve body or the master cylinder, I doubt it will be all 4 as sediment will fall the the lowest point which are the calipers.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 09-05-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:33 AM
You problem sounds like lack of maintenance. You should flush the brake fluid every 30,000 miles at the same time you flush the automatic transmission fluid. That will keep everything running good.

Quick Reply: frozen brakes