2005 Expedition Warped twice in 16k!

Old 09-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Expedition Warped twice in 16k!

My wife's expedition has worped the rotors for the second time in 16,000 miles! The first time the dealer turned the rotors at about 9k. I questioned why not change pads and rotors if we got that little out of them before warping. "Ford won't pay for it". I later talked to one of the mechanics and he mentioned that there is a service bulletin on this.

Question, does any one know the content of the service bulletin? Does it say that they need to replace the rotors? What are my options with them before I take it back?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Just a shot in the dark....I know a guy this happened to. He washed his truck at the car wash frequently while the rotors were hot and did the same thing yours did. How often do you srpay it off while its hot?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Rotors are supposed to be able to handle that without warping. What happens if you hit a puddle while they're hot? They warp? My 2001 has never done any such thing. It sounds like poor design in the rotors.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Running through a puddle and spraying at a car wash are very different. While driving through a puddle the tires will push all the water away from the vehicle, where a car wash can put a direct stream of water on the rotors therefore possibly warping them if done frequently while the rotors are hot. It can happen.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Our 04 has the same warping problem. They became warped at about 14K miles. Going to the dealer and having your warped rotors turned was a waste of your time. Rotors on these trucks don't seem to hold up all that well. I'm looking to find a decent set of aftermarket rotors, not the cheap $40 one's from Autozone or Pepboys.

As for warpage being caused by water on hot rotors. Anything is possible, but I'd say it's more due to an inadequate design. Had you by chance had your tires rotated? and the tech used an impact to put the wheels back on?

Good luck with your dealer, after 12K miles they tend not to do anything for ya.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:34 PM
My wife has a 2005 Expedition with 7k on it. It has been vibrating since before it turned over 5k and I've been wondering what if anything the dealer will do. It really sucks, because it is not in the least bit convenient to drive to the dealer and drop it off, etc. We love the thing, but it gives me a bad feeling that this thing is already warping up rotors even though we have been extremely easy on it. I guess they are just undersized.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Cabnfever...that is very plausible, especially with the under carriage spray. the key is to torque the lug nuts (snug them first with wheel off the ground) in a star pattern with a good torque wrench every time you remove the wheel. the bad design would be the rust that accumulates on the rotor cooling fins that not only inhibits heat dissipation but insulates against it.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
First problem is...NEVER turn warped rotors! The originals were probably warped due to over-torqued lugs at the factory. Running through puddles and spraying hot rotors will not warp them....think about it guys! We can't drive in the rain and snow? No tires do not push all the water away from the rotors. You drive in a down-pour and you think the tires keep the water off the rotors

Last edited by JerseyGeorge; 10-04-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
First problem is...NEVER turn warped rotors! The originals were probably warped due to over-torqued lugs at the factory. Running through puddles and spraying hot rotors will not warp them....think about it guys! We can't drive in the rain and snow? No tires do not push all the water away from the rotors. You drive in a down-pour and you think the tires keep the water off the rotors
As a carwash manager, I thank you for that comment. I guess some people forgot that it can start raining while driving. Besides that, if rotors were that susceptible to warping, we'd all be in the automotive rotor business, be rich, and drive the most amazing fords on the planet

The newer model expeditions I have seen come through for brakes, are usually in the 12K-20K range depending on the driver (male or female) and about 30% or so are under spec at that point. Your best bet is to turn them once, ride them for all they are worth, and get a GOOD set of rotors. I just ordered a set from R1 concepts on ebay. They are crossdrilled/slotted rotors. There was another guy on here that used them and said they perform great, so we will see what the long term is on them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Expedition Warped twice in 16k!