fixed brake line rusted out

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fixed brake line rusted out

About a week ago i hit the brakes while in my driveway and the pedal went to the floor. upon further investigation i found that the line fixed to the frame had rusted out.

Is it costly to replace all of the lines???

Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
nope, not hard. Just replaced the line running to the rear for that same exact reason. Its just time consuming. Plus if you have an older truck you get all kinds of sh** in your eyes whilist you are pulling the old one and installing the new one.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Just remember that a steel line should be replaced with steel. Have seen people use rubber lines with hose clamps ( if you can beleve it... I think they should license people to work on brakes) Replace the whole line from connector to connector our use a flareing tool to put proper connectors on your splice repair.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 PM
where can i find the steel line that will be cut to length???

Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Most good auto parts places have straight sections in the various diameters. some come alresdy flared with male fittings

Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Brake line

Easy to fix, I just had the rear line in my 97 go last week. Rusted through above the differential on the drivers side just ahead of the connector. It is not expensive, and not hard to do.
I replaced it from the back (std 3/8 male) to the front under the cab, by the fuel filter. The front fitting is a metric male, I can't remember the size.
I bought two pieces of brake line and coupled in the middle, it easier that way. The whole thing cost about $20.00. Remember you'll have to bleed the brakes, so make sure you can break loose the bleed nipples.

I hope this helps!

Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by bmx150
where can i find the steel line that will be cut to length???
the auto parts stores here in baltimore wont cut to length due to the bends and such. my brake line went out on me this past spring. bought a tube bending tool from sears and did the job myself for bout $30

Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Does anyone make stainless steel lines? I replaced all the lines on my wifes 66 Vette with them and they weren't as expensive as I thought.

When I did the brakes on my F150 I flushed out the lines with new brake fluid. The old looked like crap. I'm sure that old fluid leads to rusting.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
i just did mine, '91 f-150 4x4 front to back. normally i wouldn't give NAPA a nickle but they had all the lines i needed. under $80. keep in mind these are "inverted flare" fittings on purpose. it's a pressure thing and thats why a place like auto zone etc, doesn't sell 'em usually pre bent. god forbid a brake fail from a yard mechanic like me.... imagine that law suit if someone was so inclined. And spend the $30 for the bending tool. hands work, but the wife screaming you are using all he good towels to ease the bends is way cheaper than the divorce lawer

Quick Reply: fixed brake line rusted out