Tires too big or wheels incorrect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tires too big or wheels incorrect?

I have a F150 Scab 4.6L with a 4" suspension lift and 35's . I purchased it in April this year. It has after market Les Schaub cheapo aluminum alloy wheels on it. Last month I lost two studs and two lug nuts on the front passenger side wheel and pulled over just in time to get it jacked up before the wheel fell off. I replaced all of the broken studs and missing lug nuts and got it back on the road that same day. The next month I was driving home (luckily I was only doing 30Mph) and all 5 studs sheered off of the rear passenger side wheel. Again, luckily, the wheel didn't fall off. I pulled over very quickly and the brake drum was riding on the inside of the wheel. The next day I replaced all of the studs and got my wheels checked out. They are still under warranty at Les Schaub. I was looking in my paperwork for the truck and found out that the previous owner had been driving down the freeway when the driver's side front fell off. They replaced the upper ball joint, the rotor and of course the studs and lug nuts. This was before they had the new wheels put on. The maintenance paperwork stated "wrong wheels for application". I'm scared to take EASY corners fast now for fear of my wheels falling off. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone give me some insite?

Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First I have ever heard of this!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 AM
I think it might be time for some new wheels man!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
i've heard of this happening if the rims have too much offset. if the center of the wheel is too much to the inside of the rim that puts a lot of strain/stress on the wheel studs. all of the truck weight will be placed on the studs alone instead of being distributed over the entire wheel/rim. i would get those POS wheels off now before you kill yourself or someone else.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen a lot of truck with way too little backspacing, and I've never seen that happen. What is the backspacing on your wheels? It should be around 4 1/2 inches.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
this same thing happened to a friend of mine (white99, 1999 f150 ext cab). the front left tire broke the studs and came off while he was going down the interstate.. he also had just put a new set of wheels on. after he done some research he found that the bolt pattern on the wheels fit a early model (1970's) truck. i think it is 5 on 5.5 were the new ones are 5 on 135mm. it's not a lot of difference but its just enough to bend the studs a little when tightened up. he sold that set of wheels and bought the correct bolt pattern and has not had any more trouble.

hope this helps

Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I too have been having this problem. I have a 1999 5.4 liter V8, 4 wheel drive, Automatic, Supercab ( 4 door ), Tow Package, 2" lift, Aluminum Eagle Rims with 315/75r/16 Tires. I'm not sure what model of rims they are though, they were on the Truck when I bought it Jan, 2004. Any how, I have broken countless studs over the past year. Up until yesterday only the front studs have broke.

The lastest and most hair raising event was yesterday. Yesterday I was coming back from a Camping Trip, I was pulling a 16ft car trailer with 2 golf carts and all the camping stuff on it. I was on a straight section of road ( 50+ miles from home ) when all of a sudden my truck was bouncing in the rear ( doing 50-55 mph ). I stopped right away and got out to investigate. I had first thought I blew a trailer tire, but they were all good. I never had any problems with the rear tires on the truck up until this point. But yesterday that all changed. When I looked at the passenger side rear tire I found 4 broken studs ( these were completely broke off ). The tire was only held on by 1 stud, and it was stressed a little. Thankfully I was ahead of the other group of friends that went camping. They pulled up behind me and got out to investigate what was up. They never seen anything like it. I didn't have ANY spare rear wheel studs ( they are different than the front ). We made a quick call to a friend ( he had went home about 2-3 hours earlier ), we had him stop by the auto parts store and pick up 5 rear wheel studs and bring them to me. I had him bring the truck so he could pull the trailer home with his truck. While waiting we searched for idea's and answers, but we couldn't find any. After about a hour and a 1/2 he got there with the studs. We had taken everything apart to be able to get the new ones installed. We had limited amount of tools with us, but we were able to manage to get them in. Once in we re installed everything and I was able to drive it home without any more problems.

Could it be the rims causing this?
Please Help!!!
Thanks
Howdy

Last edited by Howdy; 09-05-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Anyone?
Howdy

Old 09-11-2005, 12:40 PM
i don't know what to say, all i can suggest i maybe buy some new wheels with a 4 1/2 backspacing.

Quick Reply: Tires too big or wheels incorrect?