'04 FX-4. Park brake all of a sudden goes way down

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 FX-4. Park brake all of a sudden goes way down

I've only got 5800 miles and have had no problems with the brakes - in fact the regular brakes still seem fine. My parking brake however now all of a sudden requires it to go almost to the floor before it will grab. It wasn't a gradule thing, just one day it grabbed high and next day it pushes way down.

Is there something that could all of a sudden "pop" out of adjustment and if so, is it easy to fix?

Thanks,
WaltinVt

Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
You probably broke an e-brake cable. The only way to check is to get down there and see which one.

Good luck.....there are not hard to replace...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Just follow the cable all the way back and make sure there isnt anything broke. If not since you have disc brakes I think you have shoes in your axle for the ebrake. I dont know for sure havent looked at mine but my last one was like that. Good luck

Old 09-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't think it's broke as I do have some parking brake effectivness. It's just that the pedel used to only have to be pressed an inch or two to engage the parking brake then all of a sudden it goes almost all the way down to engage the brake - but it does engage it, which I suspect would not happen if the cable was broke.

I've had this happen before over time and probably just due to normal brake wear but never all of a sudden like this.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
There is a single line that runs from tyhe pedal to a splitter. It could be multiple pieces though. Then it splits in 2. One of these 2 could be broken and causing what you stated, working on one rear tire only, appearing that everything is Ok but infact is only working on one side. In fact it could be behind the rear rotor where the cable attaches to the actuating arm. If this cable end broke off it couyld be gouging your rear rotor in the e-brake drum portion. Inspect it....what could it hurt......

Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'04 with 5800 miles...let Uncle Henry worry about it, it's still under warranty.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Found problem but how do I fix it ?

I followed the E Brake cables back. It splits on the driver side, just forward of the left wheel. Left side attachment to brake lever ok. The right side had come un-attached from the little lever that protrudes from the wheel.

Seems like a poor design but what do I know. The cable end has what looks like a 4" long spring around it and then a rectangular metal piece with a slot. The lever on the wheel is a piece of steel bar with a notch in the back side which I assume is for the cable end to "hook" over.

When the parking brake is applied, this lever is pulled forward, engaging the brake. I was able to "hook" the cable end back over the lever and when I pushed the pedal, it grabbed high like it used to. I thought I'd fixed it. However as soon as I released the brake, the cable popped off again.

I'm not a mechanic but it seems to me that the lever on the wheel is not returning to the rear position when the brake is released. I think the tension created on the cable spring is supposed to push the lever back but if the lever is "sticking" internally, then that tension causes the cable to just pop off the lever.

Anyone our there have any experience with this ? It's under warranty and I can take it to the dealer but they're an hour away and the time I'd miss from work is what would cost me.

Thanks,
WaltinVt

Quick Reply: '04 FX-4. Park brake all of a sudden goes way down