Brake Pad Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad Life

Pardon me if this has been asked and answered in a thread. My search did not turn up an answer to my questions.

I have a new 2005 F-150 Supercab XLT. I am new to Trucks, Fords and for that matter domestic vehicles. I am enjoying every drive. I need a download of "There's Someting About a Pickup Man."

First, what is your experience with brake life in miles for pads and rotors on an F-150? My wife's car is a Mecedes-Benz ML320. That thing needs front pads about every 12,000 miles and new rotors every 24,000 to 36,000 miles. Rear pads last a bit longer but rotor life is about the same.

The F-150 is about 1500 lbs heavier so I would like to get a clue as to what to expect.

We live in an area hard on brakes - the hilly coastal area of California.

Second, how do you know that you need new pads before metal hits metal?

Benz cars have a sensor and a warning light to tell you the pads are low. Our mechanic checks the pads at each oil change but with 10,000 plus between changes using synthetic oil, the pads sometimes get low before an inspection. I had a Land Rover Discovery POS that had no warning system for low pads whatsoever. I found out one day when I heard an awful grinding sound that wiped out the rotors whether or not they would otherwise need changing. I understand that low pads are designed to vibrate on some makes. I can find no reference to any warning for low pads in the manual.

Thanks for you help.

PS the mechanics in my independent Mercedes-Benz garage swear that the F-150 is the best truck on the road today by far.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Location: about 45 miles from our great states capitle. We live 1/2 mile off the trail, God's country.
Brake pads

I just bought an o2 fx4 with 60k miles. I was on a 300 mile trip when I felt and heard the fist signs of ware, by the time I got into the shop the following tuesday I was looking at a pair of front rotors and pads. $260.00. I'm doing the 5000mile oil change this week, after the cool down. It's been 100 degrees this last week.
But I dygress...Keep an eye on it so you don't find your self in the middle of a road trip when metal hits metal.

Rock on, Ford fans!!

Old 07-25-2005, 11:09 PM
I bought my 97 back in Nov 2000 with 50k miles. I still have the same pads and rotors installed. I have a little under 103k miles now. I changed the drums and shoes a year ago only because I had to change the rear axel because the housing was cracked at the spring mounts. That is the only time they've been changed since I bought the truck.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I got about 40k miles on the original rotors on my 2001 Supercrew before I changed (rotors not too badly worn, but I was switching anyway); got about 25k miles on the original pads. I switched to Brembo rotors and Hawk Super pads. After 37k miles, the rotors are still great (didn't even have to machine them), but I changed the pads out of caution - rear pads were wearing more than fronts, oddly. I switched to Hawk Performance Ceramic to see how they do. I got all of my parts from TireRack.com (good prices, great service).
If your wife's MB has slotted/drilled rotors that could be the cause of excessive pad wear. Also, MB may use softer pad material for stopping power and noise control. Have her look at EBC Green Stuff pads.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2000 Ford F150 XLT that I bought new the original brakes went 82,000 miles before I had to get pads and rotors the truck now has a little over 93,000 on it and the new brakes are still doing well.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Suspended
My front brake pads were tosted at 20,000 km 15,000 miles...All four rotors were turned and Ford replaced the front pads under warenty.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very dependent upon driving conditions.
I guess I have optimum conditions.
Sea level for a hundred miles all around and mostly highway use.

Front pads replaced at 75,000.
Rear still original.
1999, has 89,000 miles.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
SM
Like Raoul, my brakes have an easy life. Sea level, no hills, plenty of highway driving...98,000 on all original brakes, expect to go to 110,000 or 120,000 or more before any brake work

SM
'01 Screw
4.6 4x2

Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Life

My 03 Screw has 40k on it and when I got the oil changed and tires rotated yesterday, the service advisor advised me that the front brakes needed change. He said I have 3 mm left so I am gonna get it done in a couple of weeks. It is not metal on metal but every now and then I get a little squeak. There are indicators on the pads that make a squeaking sound when the pads need replacing. If you get the pads replaced as soon as this starts then the rotors will not be damaged.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by WallyBreaker
PS the mechanics in my independent Mercedes-Benz garage swear that the F-150 is the best truck on the road today by far.
Smart fellers, they are. I went through my share of GM trucks before buying my '02 SuperCrew. So far I'm very pleased. Witnessed a bunch of die-hard Chevy fans switch over to Fords for their personal trucks when our electricians' fleet of Chevy trucks were replaced with Fords. It took a while, but once one or two of them made the switch, the rest were like dominos falling.

Like others here, I got about 40k out of my first set of front pads. Replaced them with NAPA's best semi-metallic pads. Now at 86k the rears started making some noise so I replaced everything with Hawk ceramic pads and new Brembo rotors on front from Tire Rack. Interestingly enough, the NAPA pads on front still had about 60% of their friction material left after 46,000 miles!!! My rear pads were down to about 3mm after 86,000. Stop-and-go freeway traffic in flat Houston.

The front pads have "crickets" that will complain when they wear down. The rears do not.

Enjoy your new Ford!

Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Lots of answers, but I don't know if many help you out.

Since the F150 was a complete redesign using any information based on someone’s 2003 and prior is worth-less. The 2004 has a completely new braking system, it is notoriously dirty and that leads me to believe you will have similar results with this as your ML320. Aggressive high wear pads, that usually means they eat rotors too.

Keep an eye on them, periodic inspections, but most pads have metal wear sensors that "squeal" while driving and stop when the brakes are applied, opposite of a typical brake squeal.

I recommend you go with some ceramic, for both your truck and your ML320, you will see a dramatic improvement and extended rotor life.

Good Luck and Congrats on your new Ford!

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Life