Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Squealing Noise

Help! Just recently my 2001 f-150 developed a squealing noise around the front right tire. The noise occurs when the truck is in motion and gets worse when the brakes are applied especially right before the truck stops. It does not matter what speed the truck is going. The problem is that it does not occur all of the time. I may be driving for an hour and it doesn't happen, then all of the sudden it will start. I may stop and begin driving again and it will go away. I took it into the shop and wouldn't you know, it did not do it for them. The brakes are only a year old and the shop said they couldn't find anything. I am thinking that it could possibly be something in the 4 wheel drive mechanisms but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?????
Old 06-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
In my experience, a squeal from the front wheel means either brakes or a bearing. Since the brake possibility has been eliminated, have the shop check the bearing assembly. Our Taurus had a bearing problem last year; couldn't just replace the bearing alone; had to replace the assembly itself.
97 150 Super Cab 4x4, 4.6, 3.55, 265/75R16. Added: Ford running boards & molded mud guards; Class IV receiver; Delta Truk Pockit boxes-2; Dupli-Color roll-on liner on bed front & sides; Bed & tailgate mats; Ventshade Stepshields; Monroe Reflex shocks; Steel Horse Bull Ring cargo hooks-4; Extra leaf in rear springs; Lund Interceptor bug shield; Transmission cooler;
Old 06-25-2005, 04:05 PM