Brake rotors

Old 06-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotors

I read somewhere in this forum that brake rotors are the kind of thing taht need to be installed by hand. With that in mind, before I start shopping online for my rotors, I've been checking out the places around here that install that kind of stuff. 2 places recommended this one place, so I went to check it out. It was quite shady looking and the guys looked like a hugely dishonst person. I was asking him how much it would be to install the rotors on a 02 Ford Lightning (not sure if it makes a difference, but I have 22" wheels) and he told me $125 for rotors only. I was wondering if this is a bad price or anything. I can really get to them and everything, I just dont have the skill of removal and reattachment.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Rotors are a 15-20 minute job per side, less if you really know what your doing and have all teh tools available. If he wants to charge you $125 for 45 minutes of work, I guess its up to you if you want ot pay it. Rotors aren't rocket science. Give this a try:
http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html

Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Auto parts stores for prices

Call around locally and ask how much the rotors cost- -call more than one place to be sure of the price. By the way if the place and the guy looks shady and dishonest DON'T take your truck there. teecee
Originally Posted by BringMeASunkist
I read somewhere in this forum that brake rotors are the kind of thing taht need to be installed by hand. With that in mind, before I start shopping online for my rotors, I've been checking out the places around here that install that kind of stuff. 2 places recommended this one place, so I went to check it out. It was quite shady looking and the guys looked like a hugely dishonst person. I was asking him how much it would be to install the rotors on a 02 Ford Lightning (not sure if it makes a difference, but I have 22" wheels) and he told me $125 for rotors only. I was wondering if this is a bad price or anything. I can really get to them and everything, I just dont have the skill of removal and reattachment.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:15 AM
The rotors I want are from online. A honest site, www.truckperformance.com and it's Baer brakes. also honest. I'm not sure I trust myself doing it though because with an expensive investment and me being a first timer, I'd rather trust somebody who knows whats up. I'm just looking to see what others are paying so I know this guys doesnt look at a dtrusk with some aftermarket stuff and think 'he can afford big payments'

Old 06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
If you lived in Denver, I'd do it for you for some beers.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by mattadams
If you lived in Denver, I'd do it for you for some beers.
LMAO. Not bad of a trade-off Matt. How about some Heinekens?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Get a service manual. There will be a step-by-step guide to what you need to do.

Give yourself plenty of time, and take your time. You can do it.

Think about it this way: That "dishonest" shop you noted... are the technicians there really any smarter than you?

Answer: No!

Back in the day, I was afraid of working on my cars. But I had no money, so I got a service manual and started doing things myself. Now, many years later, I actually enjoy doing preventive maintenance on my truck.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by LeanNCut
LMAO. Not bad of a trade-off Matt. How about some Heinekens?
Heinekens are ok. Must provide soda for working on truck, beers for celebration afterwords .

Old 06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Service Manual?

I'm not sure what year you're talking about, but I'm awaiting the release of the Haynes Book of Lies for the 04

Old 06-13-2005, 03:41 PM
All o these beers options sound good. Anybody up or the challenge in the DFW area? We'll make a party out of it

Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey MattAdams,

You wouldn't also happen to have a link on replacing the hubs? How involved is that process? I'm wanting to go to larger diameter studs and will need to replace both hubs and rotors. (It's time to replace rotors anyways)

BTW, I don't know anything about brakes and have no specialized tools. Just have the regular 300 piece Craftsman kit and that's about it.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Call the local dealership and get an estimate on how much they would charge you. chances are the dealership would be the one that would charge the most. If they are over $125 then the price that the other place is offering may be reasonable....if they are under, then you know your going to get taken for a ride.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:52 AM
taylor, that is actually a REALLY good idea. ill check it out tom

Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM
taylor, that is actually a REALLY good idea. ill check it out tom
so what's the verdict?? let us know.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Man, so i cannled ord, and basically, the verdict is "we dont install atermarket brake rotors because we can't guarantee them. We only do Ford products" So they were no help to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake rotors