I need some hep!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some hep!

Hi everyone. I am new here and I came here trying to find out what the hell is wrong with my '04 F150 FX4. I had to have the rotors turned at 9000 miles, then again at 17000 miles and the service guys kept trying to tell me that I was hard on brakes. BS!!! Anyway, last week they replaced the rotors with what they called "updated rotors". What is that? And they turned the rear rotors too. Anyway, the truck sounds horrible. And not when I brake anymore. As I drive it sounds like a constant whine. I need some ammo when I take it back in. Geez, I only have 23000 miles on it and I am sooooooo frustrated I just want to scream!!!!! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks, ~~Christa~~
BTW, Nice forum!!!!
PS. If anyone can tell me what a TSB really means. I know it is a service bulletin, but as far as fixing the prob, what does it mean?

Last edited by cc_me; 05-31-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. These are put out by all car companies to address common problems with known fixes/cures.

I'm sure that the updated rotors are newer parts designed to address some issue - for example, noise.

If it makes noise all the time, that is your ammo. Just have the guy drive it.

If the warranty repairs don't work, and it still frustrates you, then you can go the aftermarket route. Ford wion't pay for aftermarket stuff, but it may be worthwhile for you.

I run quality aftermarket brake stuff, as do others, and they are a huge improvement over the factory stuff.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Well I have told my story here before...I just had my front brakes re-done for the fourth time in 16,000 miles on my 02 Screw. First time at 32k...new pads, turn rotors...then new rotors 1800miles later due to warping. Then another brake job at 40k, one new rotor, new pads. I paid for the first brake job, and the first new set of rotors. I made Midas eat the second one. Then at 48k (last week) the front end felt like it was coming apart under braking.

I went to a different store (Big-O) and had the fronts done again (new rotors and pads). I opted for ceramic pads this time (bendix I think).

We'll see if this makes any difference! If the rotors warp again, I think I will trade the truck in!

Regards!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tagged for later...

Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, first thing's first. A Technical Service Bulletin, or TSB, is like Jordon not Mike said, information that's intended for personnel at the dealership level to fix a known or specific problem that engineering worked on and (hopefully) found a solution to. Some people mix these and recalls up, they're two wholly different animals.

During the build cycle of new vehicles, engineers (supposedly) test stuff from time to time and figure that a newer, improved part can offer better performance to units already out there on the roads. So, there's your upgraded parts. As far as your brake noise goes, well, if it ain't right, it ain't right. I'd try getting the service manager of your friendly neighborhood stealership to ride with you to verify that the noise is there.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Well, this time they put new pads on. So far it brakes great-no noise either. I guess we will see what happens. I hope this will solve my prob. I absolutely love the truck otherwise.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:14 AM
turning the discs & drums

Geesh, maybe I might have gotten top factory stuff back in '90. I have an 90 f150 with 100k+ and have never had either front or rear turned. My mechanic when I dont mess with stuff myself cant believe it. He "miked" all four for thickness and very lil wear.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
2004 rotor issues

I too have had my 2004 F-150 in for rotor issues. It is currently in for new rotors (third time in 19000 miles). Not sure if this is a common issue with this new truck or who will pay for me to have my rotors replaced at every oil change.

Quick Reply: I need some hep!