rotor frozen on

Old 05-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotor frozen on

I have a 97 f-150 4 wheel drive. The rotor is completely frozen to the hub. All i have to do is remove the caliper and the rotor is supposed to come off correct? I have tried everything soaked it in kroil, beat on it with a mini sledge, then a BFH i even removed the studs to try and release some of the pressure. We slid a prybar in there and hit it with the BFH i'm running out of ideas here. They are really stuck on help please!

Old 05-29-2005, 05:26 PM
!

First look to see if the OEM clips in the studs were removed so that it can come off. Next use a penetrating oil through the stud holes to help loosen up the rust. Let is soak in. If you have access to an air hammer with a flat hammer face the next step is easy. Use the hammer between the studs towards the truck, not top to bottom, and it will break the rust loose. Eventually it will break free. Use the penetrating oil liberally.

Good hammering!.....

Old 05-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
First look to see if the OEM clips in the studs were removed so that it can come off. Next use a penetrating oil through the stud holes to help loosen up the rust. Let is soak in. If you have access to an air hammer with a flat hammer face the next step is easy. Use the hammer between the studs towards the truck, not top to bottom, and it will break the rust loose. Eventually it will break free. Use the penetrating oil liberally.

Good hammering!.....
I can get access to an air hammer but i'm confused on how you use it i think. So do i stick the flat hammer face into the spot where the studs used to be and then just start hammering away?

Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Slow down there race horse....

Between the studs, on the face where the wheel bolted to.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 PM
hahahaha ya i was running between the computer and the garage, no luck on getting air tonight hopefully i'll have access to air and a hammer tommorow.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Suspended
I thought the rotor was pressed on to the spindle, on my 97 4x4 I tried to the front brakes thinking that the wheal bearing was holding the rotor on, I just gave up and put the pads on even thow the rotors were shot.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:58 PM
it said in my book the 4x4 rotors just came off so i'm hoping that its just frozen solid with rust.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:32 PM
They float between the hub spindle and the wheel, held captive in the caliper brigde.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Do a search and you can find out how many others before you have got their 4x4 rotors off.

I don't pay too close attention since I have a 4x2, but I think the solution for some was to use a sawzall or a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. Basically cut straight in toward the center from the outside.

Sounds extreme, but you can get it off in minutes that way, and some people have spent days pounding with a BFH without success, no matter how much heat and penetrating oil they use.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 05-30-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
well finally got the drivers side off, started on the passanger side, no air right now just using a BFH and PB blaster

Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM
stuck rotor resolution

check this link. I did this last year and worked great. Also look for some of my comments on this board about frozen/stuck rotors or just search for my name. I wrote extensively about it.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4265

Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go to Wal-Mart and buy a couple cans of PB Blaster. Swing by the sporting goods section before you leave and buy a pack of disposable foam ear plugs. Hose the hub down with PB Blaster, put some ear plugs in so you don't go deaf, and beat the hell out of the rotor with your favorite BFH. I've never cut one, applied heat or any of that mumbo jumbo, but I haven't found one yet that hasn't come off with enough penetrating oil and a big hammer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rotor frozen on