brakes squealing

Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brakes squealing

Hello, I need help. This is my 1st post ever, so let me just say reading previous posts has been a godsend in helping avoid common pitfalls with this type of truck. I am hoping that same helpfulness comes through for me again. I just bought my truck, a 95 f-150 with 4.9 inline six and 143K miles. I went through and changed all the fluids/filters/etc. On the brakes, flushed them I using Prestone synthetic dot-3 fluid-- but this was clear and what came out of the system was a greenish tint. More disturbingly, when I was all done, my brakes made a weird squealing/squeaking noise from the master cylinder. This squealing happens only when the engine is on & I jam the pedal down hard- even when the car is not moving- and it lasts as long as the pressure is applied. Otherwise, the brakes are fine-- they work as well as ever. Because it's only when the engine is on I checked the vaccuum hose going to the brake booster & it seems to be seated properly.

So, my question is, a) did I use the wrong fluid, b) could this built up stuff have harmed my master cylinder, c) I read in here about not pushing the pedal down all the way when bleeding-- I pushed it all the way...could this cause the problem? and if so what do I do about it now? and lastly d) if I need a new master cylinder, anyone have it done and know the cost? I'm a bit tired of brakes right now-- it took less time to replace ALL the fluids/filters and give a tuneup than to mess with the brakes and I STILL haven't got it figured out. I'm thinking about just paying someone but don't want to get taken for a ride.

thanks!
Andrew, owner of Clifford the Big Red Truck

Old 05-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you problably need a new Master cylinder. They're not really that expensive. Installation is easy. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 4. Buy a Haynes manual to walk you through the process. Sounds like you already know how to bleed the brakes, so I think you can manage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes squealing