$350 later and brakes still suck

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$350 later and brakes still suck

I picked up some new pads, rotors, and shoes for my truck a few weeks ago. It was a two-weekend process but I finally got everything installed and bleed the system today. However, the brake pedal still feels mushy. When at a stop light and I can still push the pedal to the floor. The truck handles fine, I can brake without problem. I just get the feeling that someday the pedal will fall out from underneath my foot or something of the sorts. The only solution to the problem I can think of is needing new drums in the back. If I don't come up with anything soon I'll take the drums to the local Les Schwab.

Time for problem number two. My e-brake never seemed to work correctly since I bought the truck. I was hoping the new shoes in the rear would cure the problem but there I go thinking again. The e-brake has much more resistance but when I park on a hill and apply the e-brake, the truck still rolls back a bit and the pedal goes to the floor.

This might all be normal for our trucks but my mom has a 2001 Expy with 4 wheel discs and the thing still has the ability to stop on a dime even after 2 years without touching the brakes. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with her car having 4 wheel disc brakes but damn, I would like to have a little resistance under my foot when I apply the brakes.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like to me that you still have air in the lines somewhere. If is hard to completly bleed the brakes on the first try. One thing I found that helps when you bleed the system is to remove the calipers from the caliper bracket and let it hang to where the flex line is straight (use a coat hanger to hang it) and bleed the system with them hanging. That is called gravity bleeding. You can sometimes get air bubbles that hang around the flex line because it tends to loop down below the line connection on the caliper. While it is hanging use a hammer to tap the caliper as you are bleeding it, that helps loosen any air bubbles that are in the caliper. Have you ever had to add brake fluid to the master cylinder? If so and you had the same problem before you replaced the things you replaced I would then go to a leak in either one of the lines or the master cylinder. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: $350 later and brakes still suck