Clanking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clanking Noise

1st, let me state that this is not my truck - I am just trying to save a buddy some $$$. I have not yet had the chance to dissect the patient ... I am hoping that someone here can give me a few clues as to what to look for

1995 F150 4WD

When traveling at low speeds, a metalic, dinging/clanking noise can be heard from the front end. However, with even a minute amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal, the noise stops. I am guessing that the noise is the result of a brake pad or 2 knocking around. Is there supposed to be any clips or springs that hold the pads in place on this vehicle? Any other suggestions on where to look for this noise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Randy
Las Vegas

Old 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Randy if he doesn't have a manual you can go to the Autozone web site and enter the vehicle and go to their online service manual for that truck. Not bad for a freebie, plenty of diagram's and photos.

I would check the drive shaft also. U joints can make a similiar sound. Good hunting and welcome to the boards.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
New U-joints about 5 months ago - the noise was there before and after the joint replacement. The sound has a definite "ring" to it, and is present in all situations - uphill, downhill, level, accelerating, coasting, in gear or neutral.
In other words it at all times EXCEPT when the brakes are applied, which leads me to believe that one or more of the pads is loose and hitting the rotor(s).

I guess that I should have the owner buy one of the manuals (Chilton's or Haynes) and take it from there.

Thanks,
~Randy
Las Vegas

Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Ford Pick-ups and Broncos 1987-1996 Repair Guide Randy here is the link for the autozone page. You can click on the diagrams for a full size view. You can even print them if needed. It will give you a start. Hope your at least getting a beer and sandwich out of the deal.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the calipers are "free floating" and if the spring clips are worn...or not there at all the calipers will jump all around and make the sounds you describe .. common problem with disc brakes...zap!

Quick Reply: Clanking Noise