Help - choosing tires

Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - choosing tires

Sorry if this is an all too often seen question.
I have a 2003 4x4 Lariat Supercrew. It came with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires (265x70x17). It now has about 32,000 miles on it and I'm going to need to replace the tires soon.
I don't take it off - road, but I do use the 4 wheel drive in the winter - I live on top of a steep hill that isn't high on my town's plowing priorities. I drive to Florida from Massachusetts a couple times a year - which accounts for nearly half my annual miles about half the remaining miles are also highway driving to work every day - rest is around town.
I've been considering Michelin LTX M/S and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo.
Based on my driving - would one of these last longer than the other?
I understand that the Revo has very aggresive tread, but wonder how it would be for a lot of highway driving. They don't seem to be all that far apart price wise. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bpought a set of tires for my 2000 4x2 yesterday I was looking at the Goodyears RT/s and some Michelins Xclt4 at sears I got the Michelins since they were on sale and have a 50 dollar rebate going on as well

Old 05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
personally, b/c they're the same price about, i would go with the Revo tire. mainly b/c they're a little more aggressive for in the winter than the michelins and to be able to pull up that hill, and also b/c they look better in my opinion

Old 05-15-2005, 04:59 PM
The REVOs should be a great all around tire and do much better for you in the winter months. Everything I have heard says they have good highway manners as well.

I have 25k on my BFG A/T's now and they still have PLENTY of tread life left on them, I think I will get 50k out of them easily.

The Michelin's are good tires, but they are primarily an on-road tire.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your responses - I've been leaning towards the Revos, but wondered how they would be for mostly highway use.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up

I'll throw a monkey wrench in it for you then. I had Michelin XCLT4s on my Ranger and they are an awesome all round tire. I never had any problems at all with those tires in the snow (I live in Derry, NH) and their on-road manners were superb. They may not be an aggressive looking tire by any means, but they are hands down one of the best all season truck tires I've ever driven on. If you mainly drive highway and on-road, the Michelins can't be beat IMHO. I'd go Michelin over those Bridgestones in a heartbeat.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the Bridgestone's. I had a set of the Dueler AT's on my old Jeep. I got over 60,000 miles out of them before they finally wore down to the tread wear indicator bars. Most people I know would have driven another 10,000 miles on them.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Doc
Michelins

Used 'em since mile 25K on F-150 '97. Have 127K and only used one set of tires (on second set now) since that time. Mich. have been outstanding for the onroad and some (Death Valley) off road... two wheel drive rig with larger LXs than stock (285) - great ride, good handling, stopping and wonderful mileage. But as Michs have REALLY gone up in price these past many months, may try to find another 'winner' for Los Angeles driving.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Doc
Used 'em since mile 25K on F-150 '97. Have 127K and only used one set of tires (on second set now) since that time. Mich. have been outstanding for the onroad and some (Death Valley) off road... two wheel drive rig with larger LXs than stock (285) - great ride, good handling, stopping and wonderful mileage. But as Michs have REALLY gone up in price these past many months, may try to find another 'winner' for Los Angeles driving.

Just my two cents.
That's the one minus I can think of with the Michelins... Price. They tend to be quite a bit more expensive than their competitors, but with good reason IMHO. I don't think you can go wrong with either tire, they are both good choices. If you can swing the extra for the Michelins though, I think they're a much better tire for mainly on-road driving.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks - I'm still leaning towards the REVOs, but I am going to look at the Michelins first.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I have Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo's on my F-150 2001 Screw 4X4 and have used them both on and off the road. This is the best tire I have ever owned. Quiet on the road and unreal off road. Have gone places where most other vehicles were chained on all fours - those with the Revo's were not.

Have the 'Mitches' on my 01 Explorer Eddie Bower. The Revo's have less wear and look cool but the 'mitchies' are great in the city - but not off road. Both good tires but hands down I will take the Revo's because of the versatility and mileage guarantee.

A tip on saving money on Revo's. Go to Discount Tire (they don't carry Revo's in normal stock but they can order them) get their discounted price in writing. Take this offer sheet to Bridgestone and Firestone has a written policy they will beat it by 10%. Otherwise if you just deal at Firestone, they will not quote you the best price. Good Luck. Semper Fi

Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I would definitely go with the Michelins. The Revo's are a good tire, but my grandpa has them on his 97 Cherokee and the rubber is chunking real bad. Regular rotations, balancing and alignments have not helped. The Michelin XCLT 4 is a tire made specifically for Sears and it is the most superb out of all the truck tires as far as mileage expectancy. The P metric come with a 60k warranty and the LT's come with a 50k. Take care of them regularly and you should definitely see 70-75k.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
The Michelin XCLT4 is a Sears only tire but the XCLT4 is for all intents and purposes just a re-badged version of the Michelin LTX M/S that you can find at any Michelin dealer.

Just some useless info for ya!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks _ I'm hoping to golooking this weekend

Old 05-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I saw both the Bridgestones and the Michelins today - the tread on the Bridgestones is very impressive. Still haven't made a decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - choosing tires