simple ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple ABS question

Hi, I have a F150 XL 2000 4x4 truck. I have ABS. Can anyone tell me if the ABS feature is implemented only on the two rear wheels?

Also, can anyone tell me how I can spot the ABS sensor on back of each rear wheel.

My ABS light is on after having driven 200 miles on a dirt road. I have received the suggestion that I should clean the ABs sensor on the back of the rear wheels. But I'm now sure what object on the back of the rear wheels is the sensor.
Thanks,
Kelvin

Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2000 2X4 XL had 4-wheel disc ABS. Whether you have 4-wheel or rear ABS, there aren't sensors at each back wheel. The rear works off ONE channel. There is ONE toner ring inside the rear end, mounted behind the ring gear and ONE sensor that reads it. It's bolted on top of the rear end, in the middle of the center section, and is easily viewed from the front.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Simple ABS answer

Hi.

My '00 4x4 has 4WABS as well.

200 miles on dirt should not have caused this... but I don't believe in coincidences either.

If you want to have a look at the front sensors for each wheel, you need to remove the disc rotor 'hat' from each hub, then peer behind the hub ( follow the white ABS sensor wire) to the location of the sensor/toothed ring area. Blow it out with compressed air.

To get a better look at the ring, you will need to pull the hub.

Another possibility is sensor failure (rough road?) or wire damage (rocks?). Go have the stealership or someone with a ABS-capable code reader/diagnostic tool pull the codes before throwing parts at it.

I'm assuming you've performed regular brake system maintenance?

Cheers

Quick Reply: simple ABS question