Rear Brakes make a Clicking sound when braking

Old 05-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brakes make a Clicking sound when braking

I have a 98 F150 4x4 Ex- Cab. Last week my rear brakes started making a clicking sound or like you ran over alot of bubble pack. It coming from the rear. Starts when you hit the brakes and sometimes will still click for a second after you relese the brakes. I just put on new drums and shoes and spring kit and it still there. Seem to be worse with harder braking.
Thanks for anyhelp you have.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:24 AM
My bro's old chebby did that. Found out a spring clip had broken off, and the spring was just hanging. When you did your rear drums, you may have left a part loose? Check all your rear brake parts to make sure they're intact. Do the rear drums adjust? My 01' has disks, so I don't know. My old 83 f150 had drums on the rear that adjusted by turning a star type wheel on the backside of the rear hub. You have to remove a grommet to get to it. If you have adjustable rear brakes, put your tranny in nuetral (chock the front wheel opposite of the one your jacking up) and jack up your rear wheel and turn your wheel. Make sure your brakes are not set too tight. They should just be barely catching. That's all I can think of.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
brakes

I replaced the drums and shoes after I noticed the noise. I was hoping to find a spring broke but they were all fine. I also checked the rear diff and fluilds were fine. This would not be related to the rear springs would it. Just wondering if the weight shift towards the front while braking would have anything to do with the noise. Maybe the springs rubbing.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Sounds like something binding. It's a dumb guess but, maybe you got a small gravel caught in the drum or something? Did you lube all the brake componants? I'd take the drums back off and blast everything out with brake cleaner. See if that helps. Sorry if I'm not much help.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:27 PM
brakes

I'll try anything. This is clicking drives me nuts.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brakes make a Clicking sound when braking