Clank when applying brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clank when applying brakes?

When I'm driving at relatively slow speeds and apply the brakes, i hear a clank sound from what i think is the front of the truck. it's done this ever since i bought the truck and i've replaced the front pads/rotors. i made sure to install the anti-rattle clips on the calipers when i did the brake job. any thoughts? if i had to guess, it sounds like the caliper is floating and when i hit the brakes, it "pops" into place. everything is tight though and there is no wiggling if you rock the caliper by hand. thanks.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Try looking for loose or worn suspension and steering components. Ball joints, tie rods,control arm bushings, etc.

What year and model truck?

Old 05-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by peppermrj
Try looking for loose or worn suspension and steering components. Ball joints, tie rods,control arm bushings, etc.

What year and model truck?
97 expy 4x4 Eddie Bauer.

i had the driver's side suspension replace/repaired after some moron hit me broad side through a red light. the noise was present before that though.

i'm not really sure how to check certain things for wear in the front. any tips? it's only when i apply the brakes. still think it could be steering/suspension?

Old 05-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Steering, suspension and brakes should al be checked. Relatively easy considering safety and peace of mind.

When you replaced the pads did you clean and lube (high temp grease) all the sliding components. Double check the pins and where the caliper slides on the mounting bracket.

As far as steering and suspension pieces.
Jack the wheel up under the lower arm to about an inch off the ground.
With your hands at 3 and 6 o'clock push with 1 hand and pull with the other And feel for play ( a slight loosenes before you feel tension). This will tell if the tierods ends are worn.

Push and then pull to check for wheel bearings.

Place a large crow bar under the tire and lift up on it with your hand on the top of the tire. This will show play in the ball joint and controll arm bushings.

If you felt anything odd then have a helper either look or test while you look. Use caution when ever under a truck! (Read, stay out until you have a jack stand under with you)

I've replaced 2 sets of ball joints on my 98 F150 in the first 100,000 miles.

Good luck and Hope you find the noise. Let us know.

Quick Reply: Clank when applying brakes?