mud terrains in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mud terrains in the snow?

well i am thinking about putting some new tires on my 04 f-150... i have a 2 inch leveling kit on it and i am considering putting the 35x12.50R18 BF mud terrains on my stock wheels... i have 2 questions!

first, do you guys think that there is a problem with mounting a 12.50 tire on my stock 7.5 (i think?) wheel?

second... how do the mud terrans perform in the snow? i am in alaska so we get alot of snow and ice and i hear SOOO many mixed reveiws on them... i am also considering the nitto terra grapplers...

thanks in advance for your help guys!

Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the size will be a problem. From what I've read, all terrians usually perform better in snow and ice than mud terrians.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:28 AM
yea.. i didn't think they'd be a problem on the wheel but i figured i'd ask and see if i get some expert advice from this forum

i realize an all terrain is going to be better than the mud terrain but i just want to know if the mud terrain is any good? i love the look of the mud terrains WAY more but i dont want to have to worry when the snow and ice comes that i may get stuck..

Old 04-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand, having the mud terrian tires siped will help their performance a lot on snowy/icy/wet roads.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 PM
The Procomp MTR's are predrilled for studs - if you need a little extra bite in the snow.
you'll be fine on stock rims.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:17 PM
I have mud tires on my truck and they perform terrible in snow. Of course their not the BFG's like you said you were thinking of but I would definetly recommend an All Terrain Tire especially living in alaska where you get alot of snow!!

Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
From the way I understand it. The tighter tread pattern of the all terrians will compress snow and sand a little better giving you a more solid ground, whereas a mud terrian has more of a tendancy to want to throw the snow/sand because it is acting more like a shovel. I think there is another thread about the width of tires and snow right now as well. But consider how much traveling you are going to be doing in snow as to wether it realy matters to you or not.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
The nitto Terra Graplers are horrible in the snow, may as well be running a MT baja claw. They will dig ok moving forward, but dont try to back up. They are not directional, but for somereason there is no bite in rverse. If you want a mud tire, my suggestion is the Goodyear MTR. Great all around, and one hell of a warranty. Fairly comparable in price for a lot better tire, and they will handle anything that you throw at them, even thick soft sand.

Bitchin'

Adam

Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
the goodyear M/TR has a warranty??? where did u get it?

Quick Reply: mud terrains in the snow?