Buying tomorrow, REVO's or BFG A/T's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying tomorrow, REVO's or BFG A/T's?

Time to replace my POS stockers on my '03 SCrew FX4...

I LOVE the looks of the 285/70/17 BFG T/A KO's... They are going for $176 at TireRack... But, I really like the reviews of the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's in 265/70/17 - they're going for $137 also at TireRack. Can I have your opinions on if the BFG's are worth the little extra $$$ for better looks and bigger size or go for the stock size Revo's that have such great reviews - and little lower price? I really think the SCrew FX4's need a little more tire (BFG) but its tough to argue with cheaper performace (Revo). I've got 3.73's so I don'tthink the BFG would be a problem although the performance edge would have to go to the Revo's... I'm lost, help!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the 265/70R17 Revos on my 99 F-150, and the 285/70R17 BFG AT's on my 03 F-150. As much as I love the look, I wish I stuck with the Revos. The ride is better on road, and they are quieter. Wet and snow traction was a little bit better too. And dispite 3.73 rear axle, this truck feels like a pig compared to my 99 with the same drivetrain.

I think I may try a 275/65R17 next time.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the 285 BFG's.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 AM
285's would hurt my power that much? Sounds like the Revo's would be the more sensible purchase, although I saw an '03ish King Ranch this morning on the way to work - it had the BFG's on it, looked soooo good!

I'd like to know how big the performance drawback is to the BFG's - barely noticable or significant? I put about 85 miles a day round trip to work - all at 85 mph on the highway, about once a month I tow a trailer with my race car, and a couple times a month I hit an easy dirt or gravel road that are easy enough for my stockers to roll right on through with no problems...

Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I have an '03 King Ranch that I put the 285 BFG's on last November. The traction is excellent, and I have noticed no noticeable difference in power on my truck. I have the 5.4 with 3.73 rear. There is a slight increase in road noise with the BFG's, but barely. I hated the Goodyear RTS's that came on the truck and that's why I replaced them at 24k. As for the noise, since I have the Magnaflow on my truck, I can't hear the tires anyway.

My recommendation, is go for the BFG's. They have excellent wear ratings and over the life of the tire, the little extra you pay is almost negligible.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Thumbs up

Put Revos on my SCrew 2 months ago and am very pleased. Have had them in snow and a little mud and lots of highway driving, including some downpours. Have handled all situations well and they ride great on the road. I love the tread pattern.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Lol, not any easier with you guys splitting the reviews between the two

I have the Magnaflow too so I guess road noise isn't that big a deal... I think I'm leaning towards the BFG's if I can be convinced I really won't feel the power loss. The improved looks should make it a little easier to sell the truck when its time - the stance is just so much nicer with the 285's... its just tough for me to swallow extra cost of he BFG's just for looks when the performance edge of the tires seem to be with the Revo's.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
APT
More to to confuse or help.
BFG pictures

Revo 1
Revo 2
Revo 3
Revo 4
Revo 5

Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks APT, very nice vehicles! I really like everything about the Revo's except the size - they are fine but just not quite as tough as the BFG's. You're replies regarding power loss are the main ones I find when searching the forums on this topic... Do you really find that the 285's take away that much HP/TQ from your '03 vs. the Revo's in 265? You mentioned the truck handling like a pig - that indicates a big yes to me and is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant on going with the BFG's.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:56 PM
APT
To be fair, I cannot say the tires are the key contributer because they are different trucks from different years with different engine software. I bought the BFG's with 250 miles on my 03, so I didn't have enough time to evaluate power relative to the the stock RTS's. Screw weighs 300 pounds more than Scab, but Scab w/ 500 pounds in the bed was much better.

I'm just one person. Just because I notice the ill effects does not mean others will. I sold my 99 to my FIL and got to drive it again this weekend. Boy, do I miss it.

I (like many) wanted the little larger size, and to try the long time favorite BFG AT KO so I did. Life is all about experiences, so if that is the one in your heart, buy them. You'll hate the decison otherwise. You'll never know what if until you try. If it is any consolation, I get many comments about how they look.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Well I've put off the purchase because I can't make up my mind... I think now that price will be deciding factor. I need to pull the trigger this weekend and here is what I found locally. BFG A/T's 285/70/17 installed for $900 plus tax (8.25%) = $974.25... from Discount. Dueller Revo's in 265/70/17 installed and including tax for $700... then throw in the $75 mail in rebate = $625... from Firestone. That's a net difference of $349!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I had a bad experience with the Revo's. I put a set on my 98 Ranger 4x4 I had and only got like 25-30k out of them and I rotated them every 5k and kept 35psi in them. They didn't do great for me in the mud either. I put a set of BFG AT's on after those ran out and had about 35k on them when I sold the truck and they AT LEAST had have the tread left if not a little more. They also did a lot better in off road situations. IMO it's hard to beat BFG's and I think you get what you pay for but obviously other guys are having better luck with the Revo's and money is a big issue!

Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I hear ya... I really WANT BFG 285's... its the look. But, I'm trying to call myself a grown up now and the cheaper priced Revo's seem smarter. Plus no risk in losing power, etc etc as you might with larger tires. The Revo's are the smarter buy... I don't offroad and the majority of my driving is the dialy 75-85 mile highway commute. As for longevity, hopefully I'll be in a new bodystyle F150 before the Revo's wear out. BTW, I'm having Firestone install a set of RSX shocks I got in - should make for a big improvemnt in ride together with the Revo's!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Soooo if your worried about the power loss buy a chip lol. No for real though...why not save about 30 bucks a tire and just buy 265-70-17's of the bfgoodrich. This is exactly what i bought for my truck and it still gives it a hell of a good looking stance. I dont see the need for the 285's. I had a set of bridgestone duelers on mine before stock and they looked like a low profile tire where as the bfg's really make it seem alot tougher. If you get the 265's over the 285's you will save at least 120 bucks i would think. Just my .02 cents. Oh ya...and i love my bfg's. they wear very very well even though the only downfall to them is that they ride a little more rough because they are the LT tire. Also they suck in mud because they dont clean out. But heck im not complaining. Good luck and let us know what you came out with.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:36 PM
BFG's

if you want good looks then go with the BFG AT. They look great on an FX4 and are good for on and off road use.

Quick Reply: Buying tomorrow, REVO's or BFG A/T's?