Brake pad assembly on 97 F150 froze like the antartic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake pad assembly on 97 F150 froze like the antartic!

It was a nice day outside and decided to change my front brakes and rotars.

No problem, right?

I get the pads off and go to remove the rotar. Those that change your brakes know how simple it is to remove the front caliper assembly so you can get to the rotar, right?

Well the top bolt on this thing FROZE. I banged on it. I put a torch on it. I got out my air tools! I banged on it some more and put more heat on it!

I also cursed aloud.

I also started to strip the damn thing so I stopped.

All the local shops I usually have do work for me were either not answering or were not open.

So frustrated, pizzed, and knowing my front pads and rotars were so gone I couldn't risk another day driving my family around I took my truck to Firestone!

I already have a lifetime warranty on rotars and shoes from NAPA (they really sucked anyway...they squeaked, bit hard, and threw dust everywhere...) but now I have one with Firestone too!

I guess it was divine intervention. Apparently a rear cyclinder blew and I was leaking brake fluid all over!

That explains the softening brake peddle.

So I had them fix that too.

My question: Why the eff did that top bolt freeze like that???? I've never had anything resist that much effort to break loose.

What do y'all do in a situation like that? Break it off?

Was this some sort of divine intervention? I surely would've not checked my rear brakes if I got my front fixed. I never change the rear brakes but let a local shop do it!

Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you should ask is why did the Firestone Tech get them off if you could not?

Did he have a special tool or a bigger hammer?

When you work on the brakes it is like working under the car. No offense intended but, could you have spent your time putting the bolt on instead of taking it off? I used to get messed up with the oil pan bolt while on my back under the engine.

Quick Reply: Brake pad assembly on 97 F150 froze like the antartic!