Damaged FX4 Wheels from Weights

Old 04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damaged FX4 Wheels from Weights

Has anyone had any luck getting new wheels under warranty? I've had a couple tires remounted & balanced. Where ever the wheel weight was mounted on the wheel from the factory, damaged the finished surface of the wheel. Now I'm stuck looking at it until I trade the thing in.

Why they can't mount the weights on the inside of the tire, I don't know. Oh, yeah, sorry about the double post as I posted this in the aftermarket section by accident.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 04-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I believe they have weights that are hidden, however you probably have to ask for them, and if they don't have them you'll have to find a shop that does. About getting them replaced under warranty for that.. good luck.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:10 AM
You can get weights on the back but they say they dont balance out as good. Im running 265 75s on my 2 wheel drive and have no problems though.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:37 AM
My uncle runs a tire shop. He will always mount weight on the inside if people ask. I got all mine on my 98 with 17 inch aluminum rims mounted on the inside.
Doesn't vibrate or anything.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
You can usually have a shop use clip on weights on the backside of the rim where you wont see them and "sticky" weights on the inside of the rim as close to the front as possible. If the tech doing the work is good, they should balance fine as long as the wheel/tire assembly isn't totally out of whack. Even then, as long as the wheel isn't bent and the tire's in good shape, they can usually break the tire bead down and rotate it on the rim to get it to balance better.

The reason the factories mount the clip on weights right out front? It's cheap! They typically dont care what it looks like as long as they can save a couple pennies a piece over a few hundred thousand trucks. Once you get them rebalanced with sticky weights, you should be able to clean up the areas with a good wheel polish and make it almost unnoticeable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damaged FX4 Wheels from Weights