Front Rotor Replacement- New Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Rotor Replacement- New Bearings?

Need to replace the stock front rotors on my 97 4.6 2wd. Can I remove or install new bearing races with a drift or do they need to be pressed in/out?
I have'nt bought the rotors yet and assume they come without the bearing races installed? Do the new bearings come with a matched race? I have always heard to be sure to use a matched race with a new bearing. What do you guys do when replacing rotors? Thanks for the help!

Old 03-26-2005, 09:19 AM
You can buy new bearing assemblies pretty cheaply and just replace them, rather than worry about losing one or accidently reversing its orientation. I got the inner bearings at Pep Boys for $8.99 each, but I reused the outer bearings. You can also search with my name (ucfperspicere) for instructions on replacing these rotors and bearing assemblies.

If you want you can try to repack the bearings, but I've never tried this. Small parts make my big hands nervous

Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
I replaced my rotors with Brembo's and pads with Satisfied Pro Ceramics, both from Tire Rack ($249.52). I'm very happy with this combo.

The Brembo's have the new races installed, I think most new rotors do. If the rotors have new races, you don't need to buy them again. I've always replaced races and bearings together. They don't need to be matched, per se, but replaced with the same part number. I bought Timken bearings (LM12749F, JL69394) and seals (4148) for $53.19. Bearings and races are usually sold separate.

I used Coastal Hi-Temp disk brake wheel bearing grease.

You should also get a new hardware kit. I got Carlson #H5624 ($12.99) that included new stainless steel pad slides, caliper pin boots, and lubricant.
You should also consider thread locker, additional caliper lube, and anti-sieze.
I also bought a new 18mm 1/2" drive socket for the caliper bolts. They are on pretty snug.

I have about 6000 mile on these brakes and still love 'em.

'99 SC 4.6 4x2

Old pad slides:

Old 03-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Hey! Thanks for the help. Yep, the new rotors already had the races installed. I replaced all 4 bearings and the brake hardware. Very easy job. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Front Rotor Replacement- New Bearings?