Cupped tire wear cause?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cupped tire wear cause?

I have some cupped tire wear on the outside edge of the driver's side; not serious but I notice it. Had an alignment with tires rotated/balanced last summer; wasn't enthused about the job; steering wheel came out tilted. One tire on the driver's had previoulsy experienced some cupping and I had been rotating the tires.
When I needed an oil change this winter, I had the tires rotated & balanced again (different shop) which moved the tire with the cupping from the front to the rear. However the tire that is now on the front looks like it may be starting to cup also.
My tires are due for replacement soon so I'm wondering if I need another alignment (at a different shop) first.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd inspect the tie rods and ball joints and see if any are worn enough to wiggle. If you can see any slop in them at all, it's probably too much. These are common 'wear items' on Ford trucks because the OEM (original equipment) parts are crap. If anything needs replacement be sure to find and purchase MOOG brand replacement items. Lifetime warranty and much better built than OEM at about 1/3 the cost. Any decent parts store or repair shop will be familiar with MOOG. If they claim to have another brand that is 'just as good', find another shop.

Then you can get the alignment and tires.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Idler Arm. Ask the dealer check your idler arm.

Quick Reply: Cupped tire wear cause?