Brake Master Cyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
KDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Master Cyl

Hi Folks,
I'm picking up a '99 Scab this weekend. On the test drive, I noticed the brake pedal going down farther than I feel is normal. The truck hadn't been run in a week or 2, but after pumping it up slowly for a while, it only got a little better. I went for a test drive, and the brakes do work, but I think the master cylinder seals may be leaking and bypassing fluid. The level is right where it should be. Would anyone know how daunting a job a master cyl replacement is to a back yard mechanic?
I'm real happy to find this forum, as the posting here on the power lock actuators will come in handy, too.
This truck has 119,000 miles on it, so I'll probably be returning here often...
Thanks for any info,
Kevin
Cape Cod, Ma.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Not a real bad job. Just remember to bench bleed the new master cylinder properly and make sure you bleed the lines real good. Get all the moisture laden, old brake fluid out.

Note: if you have drum brakes in the rear, they might need adjusting. If not adjusted properly, the pedal will also go down farther.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:57 PM
KDT
Thanks Yankee! I don't even know what it has yet for the rears. I'm hoping to get this thing home some time over the weekend and start going through it. I suppose I may get lucky and get out of it with just an adjustment. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to flush the lines anyway.
KT

Old 03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I bought my 98 F150 5.4 4X4 S-cab new. I was never happy with the brake pedal from day1. Had the dealer check it twice only to be told fine fine. It still stops and never changed much unless I adjust up the rears. I think I'll swap out the fluid too and see what happens .

Welcome to the boards.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:38 PM
KDT
Well, I picked the truck up today and drove the 80 miles home with no problems. The pedal actually feels a little better, although still not as good as my wife's '01 Tahoe. I'll be flushing the lines and checking the rear adjustment this week and see if it helps any. From what I'm seeing here on the boards, It'll probably just be what it is, though...
Now I have to reengineer the power lock, and disconnect the cruise control plug so I don't burn down the neighborhood.
Cheers,

Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the new wheels.
Wonder if we can get a group buy on fire extinguishers.

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cyl