Tires and rims---HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires and rims---HELP!

I just purchased some 20" Akuza OJs for my 2005 F-150 supercrew and based on my internet research, I put Yokahoma Geolander HTS 285/50s on them. They look awesome. But one drive up to 65-70, the steering wheel was pulsing out of my hands. Long story short, 3 trips for rebalance and another one for a whole new set of the same tires, and I still have the same problem. Is this a common problem? Has anyone else had balancing problems when going to a high performance tire? Or is it just the shop does not know what they are doing (Discount Tire)?

Tpipe

Old 03-13-2005, 04:00 PM

I have Nitto terra grapplers(33's) on my 20in rims, and dont have that problem. I did however find it hard to find a place who could actually give me a good front end alignment because they had problems getting their alignment thingy attached to my rims. The first time i got it aligned I had to take it back because the front right tire was way out of wack (you could actually see it tilting to one side) and it was pulling hard to the right.

It may be an alignment problem. The larger rims may push off the alignment just enough to do that at those speeds.

But I may be wrong, let me know what happens!

Old 03-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Are they putting weights only on the inside edge of the rim? If so, you are getting a static balance. You need to make sure you get a dynamic balance. To do this they will put weights on the inside edge of the rim and more weights closer to the outside of the rim (but still on the back side of the rim, no weights on the outside edge of the rim).

Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
I used to work at Discount tire, and you probably need a set of hub rings to eliminate the vibration you're having.

Quick Reply: Tires and rims---HELP!