Need Opinions on these...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Opinions on these...

Hey all...I'm lookin' into getting new tires for my '98 XLT. Right now I have 255/55 R 18 Pirelli Scorpions on there. Living in Wisconsin...lotso snow vs. pirellis equals no good. I'm looking for a good all season...I've found a few that are in my price-range...

- Avon Tech ST 255/55SR18
Tire Rack price: $104 ea.

- Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55HR18
T.R. Price: $94 ea.

- Kumho ECSTA STX 255/55VR18
T.R. Price: $104 ea.

lemme know what you think...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2005, 08:42 AM
I am assuming that you have 4wd since you live in Wisconsin, Is that correct?

Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM
She has a 2wd--if I remember correctly? I'm not familiar with the tires you have mentioned so I really can't recommend them or not. These may be a little out of your price range but the BFG TA/KO's are great tires that perform well in ice and snow. There are several other brands that have been recommended by members on the boards maybe they can add to the list...guys??...If it were me, I'd be leery buying an off brand tire that is so inexpensive, I'm afraid you may get exactly what you pay for. Not to say they wouldn't be quality, I just don't know because I've never even heard of them and the price, especially for an 18" tire, is so low.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:21 PM
dont know anyhing about those avon tech's. the kumho's perform great for the price but will wear out extremely fast. Buddy had them for a year and the rubber is so soft there is just about nothing left of them. The sumimoto tires have a slightly longer life but they stink in the wet. i would suggest going to a bfg all-terrain or trying hte nitto terra grapplers. I have the terra grapplers in a 305/70/16 (33"). They perform well in all weather situations i have encountered. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they look almost brand new. At discounttiredirect.com they have the terra grapplers in the size you are looking for in at a good price. good luck. donjt buy too cheap of a tire. you'll be sorry later.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:34 PM
thanks for the advice peoples....I'm gonna check out the grapplers and see if I can make my checking account work for more quality

Old 03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey hiheeled! What's up? I see we are almost neighbors! Beloit for you, Machesney for me. 10 miles away. I have BFG All Terrains on my truck. I have no problem getting around with these whatsoever. I replaced the stock Goodyears because I didn't like them at all. So far the BFG's perform exactly the way I expected, awesome.

IL6fan

Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Hey, yeah Machesney isn't too far...I'll have to check around and see if I can get my size in those BFG and for how much. I have a friend at a dealership checkin' around for a good price on those grapplers...so I'll tell 'em about the BFGs too. Thanks for the input Have a good one

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on these...