need new pads which ones are best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
need new pads which ones are best?

i just wore out my front brakes at 30000 miles, need some new pads my truck is lifted with 38" by 15.5" tire what pads should i go with? my stock brakes worked fine just need new pads thanks in advance guys for all your help

Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like Hawk HPS pads. I run them on my truck. Great pedal feel and stopping power. But they aren't dust-free. I'll take a little dust so long as I have good brakes.

I've heard good things about EBC also. I used to run them on a sportbike I once had, they were great. But I've never had them on a 4-wheeled vehicle.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
thanks i will look into the hawk pads

Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the EBCs and like them. They stop great, are much more fade resistant and produce almost no dust. Plus they cost less than the Hawks.

Joe

Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
i will look into them too thanks

Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Update... my opinion of the EBS's is somewhat diminished. I found out this afternoon they are gone, literaly. One of the pads broke off. I mean the pad material is somewhere on the side of the road somewhere. The other pad is worn down most of the way, in 20K. Also, when I pulled the pads off I found that the anti-rattle plates had gotten so hot that they were warped and most of the glue that held them on was burnt off. The plates were made out of steel, not the rubber/plastic kind. Appearantly last weekend when I was hauling a$$ out in the boonies I got them a little hot. Suprizingly the brakes never even started to fade, in fact they were stopping incredably well.

I only hit the brakes two or three times before I realized that something was not right, so the rotor is ok. I still have the stock pads so I threw them on that side until the Hawks that I orderd come in. However, I still think that the EBCs are good pads. In fact I had ordered from the Tire Rack, only to find out they they were no longer being sold there.

Joe

Old 03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
"Update... my opinion of the EBC's is somewhat diminished. I found out this afternoon they are gone, literally. One of the pads broke off. I mean the pad material is somewhere on the side of the road somewhere. The other pad is worn down most of the way, in 20K. However, I still think that the EBC’s are good pads."

Geeeze, Wookie you don't ask for much, the pad fell apart!? I would go nuts on EBC; this is a rather important part (safety) of a vehicle.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM
i agree i dont think i will be getting the ebc, looks like hawks unless any one has any other options

Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
They were great pads until yesterday afternoon. I think that the pads falling apart had a LOT to do with the way that I drove last weekend. I really put the pads through hell. What I think happened is that the brakes got so hot that the glue melted. Like I said the anti-rattle plates were warped/shrivled up from the heat. Even this hot the brakes worked perfectly. If they had better glue the pad would be spectacular.

Joe

Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
just bought new ones

I bought Motorcraft brand from the local dealer price----$50

Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
i understand were you are coming from wookie, i just dont want my brakes to fall apart i put them threw hell with the big tires and offroading

Old 03-11-2005, 02:29 PM
WTF? Can't stop for crap with Motorcraft pads?

Just had my front pads replaced yesterday. The POS that I had put on by Brake Stop were almost down to metal on metal at 10-friggin-K miles!!!

Anyway... they stuck motorcraft ceramic pads on... and I couldn't stop for ***** the whole way home. Felt like I was pressing down on a cement block when I pushed the brake pedal... and I couldn't stop by slamming on the brakes... only coasting.

Took it back and the shop didn't understand why that was the case (though they felt something wasn't right when they test drove it as well). Needless to say, they just called and replaced those pads with AC Delco ceramic pads. I've never had this happen before with brakes... especially since the shop is telling me that the Motorcraft ones are original equipment model vs. aftermarket AC Delco ones.

We'll see what happens when I pick it up in a few hours.

Guess I need to start a new thread on this too.

Later,
Jeff

Old 03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
let me know how the ac delco are and if you like them

Old 03-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Whats wrong with factory replacements

I just replaced my original with Motorcraft after 73,000 miles, many driven in the WV mountians. Rotors are straight and old pads still had a few thousand more miles left. No dust and great stopping distance.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, just picked up the truck.. the Delco's seem much better, but I need to spend the weekend with them to see what I think... since my shop is only around the block from work here. Right now I do notice that compared to my old POS pads, these do require more "oomph" to stop... but I don't fear for my life like I did with the Motorcraft pads. I'm not sure if I just got two bad pads or what the deal was. Anyway... things are better, but I'll hold off on saying they are "good" until I get some miles on them.

I'll keep everyone up to date.

regs,
Jeff

Quick Reply: need new pads which ones are best?