parking brake assembly fell apart!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
parking brake assembly fell apart!?

Hey everybody,

I noticed last night that there was a pretty awful noise coming from the rear d/s wheel on my 03 150. It sounded and smelled like a dragging e-brake but the control was fully released (i dont ever use my e-brake). I played around with what i could but it was dark so i parked the truck. I got underneath it this morning and i noticed that the cable had come unattached from the lever that goes into the brake drum on the rear d/s. I figured that was the size of my problem, so i proceeded to reattach the cable to the lever, and the lever fell right out into my hands. It sounds to me that the entire e-brake assembly has come apart and is rolling around inside the drum. My truck is parked until monday when i can get it into the dealership (i've got some warranty left and i'm hoping this will be covered) but has anybody ever heard of this happening? Like wtf would cause my e-brake assembly to completely fall apart if i never even touch the thing?

Thanks.
JP

Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E brake falling apart

Hi JP,

I have a 2000 F150 and my emergency brake shoe on the driver's side broke and rattled around in the drum. Apparently the acuating levers seized and prevented the brake from fully releasing causing overheating and eventually took the brake pad from the shoe. Since I just had the brakes serviced at the dealer and they failed to check the e-brake assembly, it was covered under warranty.
I suspect you should be under warranty as well. Don't let them screw you on that! Stick to your guns.

Quick Reply: parking brake assembly fell apart!?