Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings

I have an 2002 F150 Offroad package with only 40k miles. The wheel bearings on the driver side front wheel just went out and have to be replaced. Anybody else had trouble of this nature with such a low mileage? And if so, did Ford stand behind the repairs if the truck was out of warranty?

Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't have 4WD, nor did I have this problem, but when I needed a major service on the transmission after warranty the dealer offered to kick in some out-of-warranty assistance, or some such thing (until I found a reason for them to fix it completely under warranty). But wheel bearings shouldn't be expensive or difficult to fix, so I'm not sure where their threshold is. I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I'm not sure about your warranty issues, however, the wheel bushings went out on my 2000 F-150 4x4 sport at 60,000 and I had to replace the upper and lower control arms because the bushings, according to my local dealers, were unservicable. Cost me about $500 and took me about 12 hours doing it myself. Be ready this can become a headache quick. I also would recommend an alignment after replacing, usually runs about $75-$100 on 4x4's.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
GABoyinTroupCo., it sounds like you're talking about the "ball bearings," which are integral to the control arm. Wheel bearings are a horse of a different color. Depending on your axle setup (4WD or 2WD) they are different setups, but they just make the wheel/hub able to rotate around the axle without binding up. The ball bearings make the control arms able to flex the front independent suspension.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings