How do you adjust brake pedal for left foot

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you adjust brake pedal for left foot

Recently puchased a 2005 F150 Scab FX4. It's my weekend vehicle and I couldn't be happier with it except for one nagging item. The brake pedal feels like its 6 inches from where I normally would find it. Monday thru Friday I drive a company provided 2005 Ford Freestar. I normally brake with my left foot. A habit I got into with the stop and go traffic here in Los Angeles. When I drive the F150 I find my left foot hitting the bottom side of the brake pedal and I'm resting it much too far from the pedal. The space between the floor board of the F150 pedal is much greater then on the left side of a normal car.

How can I move/adjust the brake pedal so it better suits my driving style? I've also considered building out the floor board where I rest my left foot so it's not so far way from the pedal or re-learning to brake with my right foot.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive a manual trans for a year and get out of the dangerous and nasty habit of left-footing the brake. I hate driving behind people like you who 'accidentally' let their left foot ride on the brake pedal just enough to illuminate the brake lights- for several miles at a time. Might as well not even have brake lights.

Your poor driving habit is the problem, not the vehicle.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I own a F150 and a Windstar and have never had this problem nor have I had this problem with any other vehicles as I drive many rentals during the year.

I use right foot only, driving automatics. My left foot is for a clutch. I would wreck sure as hell if I tried it any other way.
I sometimes stomp the clutch and don't want think about what that would cause on a power brake pedal.

I don't know how people who use the left foot on autos, switch and work a clutch when they need to.

Sometimes I try to stick the key in the side of a steering column on a car that has the ignition on the dash, I know I would screw up the footwork going back and forth between vehicles if my left foot was doing two different things depending on what vehicle I was in.

If you possess this skill, my hats off to you.

I can't think of any way to solve your problem except for you to buy some clown shoes.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
We all know that driving with the left foot for braking is wrong.
Well, count me in as a bad guy. I've been driving automatics that way for 34 years. Yes I drive manual trans vehicles too and have no trouble switching from one to the other.
I should say that I have, twice in 34 years, gotten confused and panicked when the "brake" pedal went to the floor. Actually it was the clutch pedal. And just the opposite, I tried hitting the "clutch" pedal in an automatic. But that hasn't happened in 12 years.

As for your question, no. The pedal position cannot be changed.
You'll get used to it.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally posted by Iggy
... I tried hitting the "clutch" pedal in an automatic...
Were you in traffic when it happened?
I know I would do it all the time and it seems there is always somebody tailgating me.

some people say they would brake hard for tailgaters but, at least they are doing it on purpose and are prepared for it. With my luck, I would do it on an onramp trying to accelerate in the middle of quick upshift. I stomp and pop that clutch hard and if it happened to be the brake I'd crap my pants.

Why do you do it anyways?
Are there any advantages?
or did someone leave you a collection of clown shoes?

p.s.
Best wishes to you on Thursday.
That's the big nasty one.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-01-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can switch between left and right foot braking pretty easily... I was taught that it is "bad" but I've never had a problem and in an automatic, I have faster response when my left foot is dedicated to the brake pedal.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
I've been driving for 34 years myself and the only time my left is on the brake is when I take an automatic down the 1/4 mile track.

If you need the 'faster' left foot response time, I suspect you are a tailgater.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Were you in traffic when it happened?
No, I was leaving an employee parking lot where the entrance/exit was down hill. As I crested the hill and started down I went to hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. I thought I would coast out into traffic. Scared the crap out of me. I quickly realized what was wrong and hit the "real" brake pedal. I sat there laughing at myself.

It was also the same night I tried hiting the clutch in an automatic. I was driving a Lincoln Towncar, my ears told me it was time to change gears and I tried shoving the pedal to the floor. Fortunately I was only traveling at 15 MPH when I did this. Tires screeched, ABS activated, front end diving to the ground. Must have looked really funny.

When all this happened I was working part-time for Budget Rent-A-Car. In an evening I could drive 25-30 different vehicles (4 different manufacturers) and quickly switch from automatics to maunuals. It's easy to forget which make and model you're in.

You ask why I drive and auto with both feet?
Well, it's out of habit. Out of 23 vehicles I've owned only 4 have been automatics. I guess I'm used to using two feet to drive. I've been driving that way since I learned to drive. My mother drove that way too. When I took my road test, 1971, the instructor chewed me out for doing it but didn't fail me.

Clown shoes aside, I do have large feet. Sometimes the damn boxes fit better than the shoes inside. There are some cars where the pedals are just too close together and I can hit both the clutch and brake with one foot.

Thanks Raoul.
Didn't think anyone would notice. But you're right. It is a "nasty" one. Feel like an old man around here.
I'll have a cold one for 'ya.

Last edited by Iggy; 03-01-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 AM
And BTW, I can tailgate with the best of them, when I have to. I had excellent teachers. Try driving through New York and Long Island 2-3 times a week. You'll pick up all kinds of bad habbits.

In reality, I'm an excellant driver. Don't tailgate, don't regluarly dive more than 5 over the limit, and I always watch for the other guy. Drove soooo many miles in trucks making deliveries and learned a lot about driving in various conditions. Guess that's why I haven't had an accident in 18 years.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I think the whole point of this exercise is to avoid resting my foot on the brake by having the brake pedal in a comfortable position. I'm a little surprised there is little reference to adjusting the pedals in this forum. Can't find much on the internet either.

If I were to only use my right foot to brake I think I would still like to move the brake pedal closer to the floor board. I'm 6'3" and wear size 14 sneakers. I need as much room as I can find down there. If I move the seat back wear my feet are comfortable with the floor pedals I feel like I'm steering with my fingertips. Not to mention losing the use of the seats behind me in the super cab. It's also a real strain to reach the radio.

I see the brake pedal is attached to a round medal bar that looks like it goes straight through the fire wall. Change I remove this bar and modify it? What is it attached to?

Any web pages that describe or show the mechanics of the brake assembly?

Can you add the adjustable pedal option at the dealer? How much would this feature cost? Sticker says $120 as an option on a new vehicle. Would it add more room compared to the standard setup?

"Adjustable Brake Pedals
Power adjustable pedals have a dash-mounted control button to help you find the ideal driving position – the pedals allow up to 3" of adjustment to help you achieve a favorable navigating position. "

Old 03-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the adjustable pedals and it moves both pedals at the same time. The relationship between the gas and brake pedals remains the same.

I have big feet and long legs also. I haven't had the problem you mention since driving a 69 VW Beetle. I could almost hit all three pedals with one foot.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 AM
That round metal rod that goes through the firewall is the pushrod for the brakes. It attaches to the pedal assembly and then the power brake booster. Not adjustable. Do not alter.
I didn't know Ford made the adjustable pedal assembly an option on the trucks.
I'm sure Ford can retrofit the assembly. All it takes is $$$$$.

I'm 5'10 with size 13 feet. Who needs water ski's?
Seriously though, I know how hard it is to find a comfortable driving position. I have never had the pleasure of having a vehicle that I can adjust to fit me. I've always had to adjust my driving style and position to fit the vehicle.

I haven't had the problem you mention since driving a 69 VW Beetle. I could almost hit all three pedals with one foot.
I used to have a tiny Fiat 850 Spyder. The pedals were so close and narrow that I used the big toe of each foot to press the pedals and I too could hit the gas and brake with one foot. Did it quite regularly.

Last edited by Iggy; 03-02-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Well, I completely misunderstood what you were talking about.
I thought you meant the brake pedal was too far right or left.

I see now you meant pedal height.
The adjustable pedal option may not help you anyway.
I believe the purpose of the adjustable pedals was to help the 'little people' who without the option had to move the seat so far forward they were being put at risk by the airbag.

You may want to check a truck that has the option.
I think it moves the pedal higher than what is standard.
The lowest setting may be the same as a truck without the option.
From what you describe, you want it lower, I think?

Old 05-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Thinking about this thread when I was sitting in traffic on the 10 yesterday here in Los Angeles. After reading some of the forums regarding custom tuning a lot of the guys commented that the throttle lag was something that was gone after they install the custom tuning.

I began thinking that I really didn't notice the lag. But now I realize that I had been compensating for the throttle lag on both of my Ford vehicles that I drive regularly by braking with my left foot. At stop lights I already have my right foot on the gas and engage it just slightly before I left of the brake. It's almost though my brain and feet were antisipating the lag.

Wonder if I get a custom tune I won't feel the need to use left foot braking?

Quick Reply: How do you adjust brake pedal for left foot