Master cylinder fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master cylinder fluid level

Hi guys.
On my new (to me) 02 Screw, the fluid level in the master cylinder seems to be a bit high, like too full. It seems like it's weeping out of the cap because the top of the plastic reservoir is wet with brake fluid, not a whole lot, but like it's coming out a few drops here and there. The level is way higher than the max full line on the side. I think I should take some out to get it down to the proper level. How should I do that? Turkey baster and suck it out?

Reloader

Old 02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Get a syringe of some type from Wally-World and remove the excess. Easy problem to solve.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
...and the cap seeping is common because it's a POS.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Unless the fluid is above the full mark, it is somewhat normal.
If you could see all the shaking and vibration going on, which causes the fluid to slosh as you dive down the road, you'd understand.
The cap in not a POS. A small amount of fluid is weeping past the rubber washer and exiting through the air vent hole. Changes in barometric air pressure cause funny things to happen.
I have yet to see any brand of vehicle without some form of wetness on top of the master cylinder.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I drive numerous new company vehicles from varied manufacturers over 300 days a year and haven't noticed that at all. I've stopped it on several F-150s by changing the cap and/or smoothing the surface where the cap mates. It's just a difference of opinion on what a POS is.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder fluid level