Please help me replace 01 studs!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me replace 01 studs!!!!

I need help replacing the studs in the rear wheel of my 2001 F-150, does anyone have a trick that I can use other than removing the axcel. I don't want to do that...
My problem is I can't find any place behind the plate that the stud will fit between so it will come out much less putting the new ones in.
I read 20 or so pages af posts and know about knocking them loose and tightining them up I just need a trick to get them out.
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Question

Has anybody figured this out? Can a rear wheel stud be replaced on rear disk (w/ drum e-brake) without removing axle?

Old 07-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes, they can be removed and replaced without pulling the axle. Remove the rear caliper and rotor. Punch out the old stud. An air hammer with a straight punch or hammer head words great. It will need to be finaggled ( is that a word) around a bit to get out from behind. Do the same to install the new one and pull it through the axle hub with a few spacers and some disposable lug nuts. Don't use your good lug nuts as they will get galled up pulling in the stud. It is a good idea to put anti-seize on the studs first too before pulling them through.

If this frighten's you pulling the axle is no big deal, and you can re-fill the diff. with fresh fluid. If you have a limited slip don't forget to add the additive. If you decide to drop the axles, before you try and loosen the axle/spider gear pin retaining bolt, smack it with a hammer to break the loc-tite. If not you might bust the bolt and need professional help.

Quick Reply: Please help me replace 01 studs!!!!