Need Help on Choosing Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help on Choosing Wheels & Tires

I need some help in choosing some new wheels & tires for my 98 . I currently have the stock wheel & tire set-up. Im looking to least go to a bigger wheel to help fill out the wheel wells. Does anyone know I big I can go without having to make any modifications to the suspension, wheelwell, etc......I'm also thinking of buying new rims, but I'm not exactly sure about the bolt pattern/length. i have seen a number of posts on this website referring to 5-135 bolt pattern & 13 & 14mm bolts. i'm not a big gear-head and I don't really know what set-up I currently have. Does anyone know what the stock 1998 F-150 (4X4) had. Can i go w/ a bigger rim size as long as I stay w/ the same bolt pattern. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
98 will have 5 on 135mm spacing. The lugs will be 12mm. That is the diameter of the lug, not the lenth. Can't help on on 4x4 tire size.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 PM
You can move up to a 285/75R16 on the stock rims without any modification to the truck.

If you want larger tires than that, it would probably be a good idea to move up to a 8" or 10" wide wheel, but some modification may be required depending on how large you decide to go past that (cranking torsion bars, trimming the plastic under the bumper, or both).

As was mentioned, you need a wheel with the 5x135 bolt pattern.

Larger tires will affect your speedo...you will be going faster than your speedo says you are. The bigger the tire, the farther off it will be, but this is easily corrected.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 01GreenCrew
98 will have 5 on 135mm spacing. The lugs will be 12mm. That is the diameter of the lug, not the lenth. Can't help on on 4x4 tire size.

Thanks for the info. I'm brand new to the Ford truck scene and this website. So far I love them both. You both have awesome looking trucks.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Need Help on Choosing Wheels & Tires