Help for faded/oxidized wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help for faded/oxidized wheels?

I finally got the 35's on my '02 SC and it looks great with BFG Mud-Terrains but the next thing I have to handle is the wheels. I bought the truck with AR Pythons and even when they are clean, they still look sort of faded and have what appear to be water spots or something. I'm wondering if they can be polished or somehow shined back up to original without spending a bunch of money. Here's some pics, though I don't know how well you'll be able to tell how they really look. I think they should shine like chrome though.

Oh, before I get it for not having searched first, I guess I'm really wondering if anyone knows whether these are clearcoated or not and if there's any special cleaner or polish that works better than others. I tried some off-the-shelf metal polish on them and got nothing - no visible effect at all. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by thann; 02-13-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do believe they are raw, polished aluminum. If the normal aluminum polish is not working you may need to try some of the polishing compounds and kits from Eastwood Co.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 AM
FLITZ IT!

:P

In all seriousness, you probably need a good polishing compound, since you appear to have the polished wheels rather than the chrome ones.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the responses guys - oh and double thanks to Wandell (b/c I used your trimming hints after I had the 315's mounted)...

So if I understand correctly, I should use a heavier polish and then Flitz them? Heh. I'll probably be trying that tonight!

Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
There are several steps to obtain quick, effective results. They are based on how abrasive the formula is. Look here:

www.autopia-carcare.com/wen-y-376.html

Quick Reply: Help for faded/oxidized wheels?