? about used tires & wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about used tires & wheels

OK. So here is what the guy has for sale: 4 MB Motoring Shocks 16"x8" and 285/75/16 for $850, but he lives in California and he said with shipping to Florida it would come to $1100. Is this a good deal or could I but something new in that same size for about as much, locally. By the way the tires have about 9000 miles on them. Thanks

Old 02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I'd go to discounttiredirect.com and look at their packages. I'd even call and see if they'll put one together for you.

I'd bet you could do a new package through them for a little more than the used set you're looking at.

Better yet, there are some discount tire stores in FL. If you are close to one, I'd go there.

MB Motoring is Discount Tire's house brand.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be hesitant to buy used wheels and tires like that from the other side of the country. First off, why do you figure he took them off his truck 6 months after buying them? I'd suspect that perhaps they weren't quite as round as you'd expect most tires to be.
Second, what if you notice something after you get them- such as a cut in a sidewall or evidence of plugs or defects in the wheels or whatever. What then? Are you honestly going to spend MORE money to ship them back to Kalifornia and hope this guy might be honest enough to eventually get around to sending you back your money (minus shipping, of course)?

If you are going to practice false economy by buying used tires (it's cool, I did it myself years ago), then buy them locally. There's always a few local used tire places in every city, flea markets, newspaper ads, garage sales, etc. Call around to your local tire retailers and ask about trade-ins. Just keep in mind that most used tires will not be perfect (there's ALWAYS a reason why someone takes tires off their truck before they are worn out).

Or you can buy tires from the other end of the country and learn your lessons the hard way.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
What do you mean by false economy?

Old 02-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Wheels

You can get brand new packages for about 1,600, and that is 20 inch wheels from discount tire. What part of florida are you in. In clearwater we have s and m truck world, and they have lots of packages for decent prices.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Well I for one have used tires/wheels for sale with nothing wrong with them. Why would someone get rid of tires before their worn out.......Hmmmmmm......In my case I have added more lift and the set I have are too small. I understand your caution but it sounds like its borderline pessamism........
Do your homework...........Ask for pics and info before buying. There are good deals out there (even with shipping) and I dont belive buying second hand products constitutes "false economy" Afterall the guy getting the money will buy something new with that money somewhere down the line!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I agree with toddy. I am sorry that I do not have the money to afford new tires. Heaven knows I want new ones, but as a college student I simply can't afford it. I can't beleive you would label this as false economy. Must be nice to never have to buy anything used. Its a shame you have to share your ignorance with the rest of the world.

Quick Reply: ? about used tires & wheels