Rear brake / rotor questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear brake / rotor questions

Hey guys, I have a 2001 4x4 with 50,000 mi. I changed the front pads to Raybestos Quiet Stops at about 30,000 as I recall, but I'm still running the stock rears. They could probably use a changing and since the stockers lasted so long, I will probably use OEM replacements or Quiet Stops. Here's my question though, the front driver's side rotor has some eggshell like surface cracks. Is this normal because I am running the ceremics or should I surface / replace them?

Second, the front rotors appear to have the normal wear pattern / satin finish you'd expect to see on rotors, (save eggshell surface cracks) but the rear's are a different story. They are more of a polished / dull look like they don't apply quite enough pressure or something. They are also a fairly darker brown color rather than a nice shiney silver.

Last, should I have de-glazed the front rotors when I swapped pads? How about the rears when I do them? I did have a slight warped rotor feeling when braking hard from say, 70 mph or better, but that has calmed down A LOT in the last 5,000 mi. I also have been getting a popping / grinding sound when first starting to reverse for the last 5,000 mi. I have never had the rotors turned or replaced. Any advice appreciated, thanks!!!

Last edited by Jackal; 02-04-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:25 AM
The tiny surface cracks or "checks" are no trouble.
You should see what a well used flywheel on a manual trans vehicle looks like after 50K miles.

I wouldn't be concerned about the coleration betwen the front and rear rotors. The front brakes on any vehicle perform approxamately 60% of all the work so they would look different than the rear. And if you do any towing like I do you'll see a real difference.

The popping sound could be a caliper moving on its mounts or a brake pad shifting, maybe even a pad that was slightly stuck to the rotor. As soon as you start moving it all goes back to where it belongs.
Grinding sound? No idea, unless one wheel is worn down to the steel backing. I've had that. And one time I had an inner pad that cracked and a chunk broke off then got jammed between the rotor and the dust shield. Terrible screeching sound.

I have done nothing more than replace pads (all 4 wheels 3 times) in 120,000+ miles. I have yet to turn a rotor. No warpage.
As long as the surface is generally smooth with no deep gouges, or a large wear ridge on the outer edge of the rotor, you should be good to go.
Since I do have so much mileage I am replacing the rotors one set at a time. But it's not because there is a problem.

And I too installed the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads on the rear along with their QS rotors.
One other thing....for some strange reason my rear pads wear faster than the fronts.

Last edited by Iggy; 02-16-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey thanks man, it seems to be less apparent now that I did the rear pads. Also, I notice that that popping sound now happens when I first hop into the driver's seat. If you bounce around or get out and back in, nothing...??? It's weird but I ignore it now.

QS rotors? What are they all about and approx. how much? I'd imagine they'd be a nice pair to the pads ya know? I do have a pretty decent wear ridge along the outer edge of the rotors, the rears were much worse, but they sanded off with the rust using 80 grit pretty easily so maybe it's just where the pads don't make much contact. I think I'll deglaze the front rotors with 80 grit since I didn't do that when I did the fronts and see how she does. I feel a lot better knowing the rotor surface is pretty "normal". Thanks!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
The Raybestos QS rotors are made to complement the QS brake pads. I paid 67.00 +/- each at Pep Boys.

Go to http://www.raybestos.com/usa/products.htm for info on Raybestos products.

Do you use the parking brake at night?
If so, that may be your noise generator. Try not using it and see what happens.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I do use it all the time. It use to make the noise after sitting for any length of time...like two hours or more. I haven't noticed it much since doing the rear pads, but it has been cold out so the windows are all up.

What should I do since I have a 5-speed...just put it in 1st.? What is the normal procedure?

Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
There isn't any "normal" procedure when parking, but I used to leave mine in reverse. Reverse is a numerically higher ratio and that makes it harder for vehicle movement to spin the engine when parked. In fact on level ground I hardly ever used the parking brake. Hills are another matter.
There was a time when all vehicles equiped with a manual trans had to put in reverse before the ignition key would rotate to the off position. Guess it kind of stuck with me.
First gear is ok too. Just don't trust it on a hill, use the parking brake too.

The only thing I can suggest is to pull the rear rotors, clean the parking brake assembly, rough up the shoes and drum, then put a dab of white grease under the shoes where they contact the backing plate. Same as you would on regular drum brakes. See if that helps.

BTW if you only hear it with the windows down, it can't be all that loud.
Try cleaning and greasing then see what happens.

Quick Reply: Rear brake / rotor questions