Maybe the wrong place to ask

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the wrong place to ask

But, well, i have got a 96 Explorer XLT, i was very pleased with ride and handling(yes handling) with my AT continental tires, but they were very noisy and they wore out quickly.

Got Pirelli Scorpions ST, zero noise, but now the car feels waaaay to different, there is somewhat less roll, that should be good.(maybe stiffer sidewalls?), but the car feels taller, and more axle hop has appeared, don't know why, the less roll actually feels wrong, the car felt more comfy on the corners, and gave me more confidence, i tend to drive fast, and when i bought the car i was impressed since it was able to go really nice on corners, no major complains applied (and my other car is an SVT Focus).

Now it's less pleasing, even with zero noise, it has become a bit jumpy, i don't feel like pusing it like i used to. And a slight vibration has appeared at like 115km/h even on smooth surfaces.

I think i might have the tires overinflated and maybe i need better alignment, my old wore tires one week ago gave me a whole better feel.

I know the explorer isn't an X5, but it was better than this is now. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the new tires are light truck tires (LT) and the old tires were passenger tires (P). I would start by checking the air pressure and playing with it. I'd think something in the 32 to 40 psi range would work, but I would check with the tire manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Maybe the wrong place to ask