cost of replacing a stud

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost of replacing a stud

well, when removing my rear tire one of the studs broke trying to get the nut off, and yes, we were turning it the right way. anyway, one of the 5 studs broke off, complete sheared, not enough threads to even hold the lug nut on.

anyway, what would it cost to replace the stud?

i have a 97 f-150 2wd.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:58 PM
I paid 10 dollars at my local tire kingdom.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
The wheel stud is less than $1 at my local dealer for the 12mm studs. The change can actually be done by the average person at home.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:36 PM
powerstroke is right it is fairly easy to replace, but for 10 bucks I just had the shop do it. it took them only a few minutes

Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 PM
oh awesome, i was expectinga long and tedious prcess.

we did this when installing my 2" rear drop, since we couldn't get the truck high enough with the tires on we just took em off, thats when i broke it. anyway, my friend said it was gonna cost alot. didn't know it would be so inexpensive.

anyway, what size and thread do i need? i know that certain year trucks had large studs than another.

and could someone briefly explain what's involved in replacing it?

like removing tires... brakes (mine has drums by the way in the rear)

Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Well the fawkin forum just erased my post so here it goes again. Might want to try debugging your forums there Steve

Remove the rear wheel and brake drum shoe. Then use a C clamp to press out the stub of the old stud. I put a piece of pipe on the other side of the stub so it could be pressed out. If you don't do this you will not be able to press out the stud. Don't use a hammer to drive it out. I pulled my axle shafts when I did my swap, but that was also due to an unrelated problem. I have heard that the new studs can be pressed in with the axle still in the truck with some fanagling. Once its pushed in some use a stock style washer lug nut to help suck the stud in. When its pretty much done put the wheel on and torque to the proper specs.

Quick Reply: cost of replacing a stud