e-brake light on when vehicle off

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e-brake light on when vehicle off

I got one for you all...on my 1997 F150 the e-brake light is now on when the truck is shut off and the keys are out of the ignition. The light stays on until you start it and then it is out. The brake fluid is full, I just can't figure out how or why the e-brake light is on when the vehicle is off...consequently the light keeps killing my battery overnight. Any thoughts????

Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 AM
If I were you, I would either take it in to be checked out, or start looking at the wiring yourself. As far as I know, that indicator light is fed only from the E-brake switch itself, so if you have voltage coming into the circuit from a source that goes live when the engine is off and key is out, you probably have a short with the alarm wiring. That's the only circuit I know of that wakes up with the engine off, and sleeps with the engine on. Good luck with it.

SL

Old 02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
There would have to be both power and ground to the cicuit with the key off for the light to be on. Either the instument cluster is bad, or something is feeding back through it when the ignition is off. Sounds like a problem for your local ford dealer.

Quick Reply: e-brake light on when vehicle off