Which tires . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires . . .

Okay, it's time . . . I am ready for a new set of tires. I have never bought anything but Goodyear but, the stock tires are crap!

I have a 2000 F150, SCab, 4WD (never off road, only in the snow).

What is recommended for replacement tires?

Old 06-16-2004, 04:25 AM
I have a 2000 SCab too and I replaced the crappy Goodyears with BF Goodrich AT TA/KO's in 265/70R 17's. I love 'em and they do well in the snow and ice. Plus they have a slightly aggressive look without a lot of road noise. Just my .02!!

Here is a picture of them on my truck:

Old 06-16-2004, 07:17 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bridgestone Duler A/T Revo
Pic 1
Pic 2

I made the mistake of getting BFG AT KO for my current truck. Not that they are bad tires, but I think they are not as good as Revos and they cost more.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:03 AM
APT,

How long have you had the Revos? I have seen some recent feedback that the treadwear is not very good.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:31 AM
A lot of research I've done has the Yokohama Geolanders as a good choice.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I am searching for a new set of 265/70/17's for my 02 F150 FX4. I has Geolander's on an Isuzu Rodeo...awesome in the rain and snow, terrible tread life.

I am considering the Revos, price isn't much of an option. Dad's paying or splitting the cost as a "thank you" for installing his kitchen cabinets.

I've seen alot of good feedback on the Revos, but also some bad in a few places. Some bad reports on tread life and some bad reports on ease of proper balancing. I want a good rain and snow tire but also a good tread life. Not really concearned with noise or stiffness. Also, I do alot of highway travel.

Has anyone had their Revos for alot of miles? Most of the comments are from people that have had them for 10K miles or less.

What other tires would anyone recommend?

Order of importance:

Rain/Snow
Treadwear
Dry Pavement
Price
Mileage
Comfort/Noise

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Talking Tires for 2001 Screw

The very best tire for replacement purposes is the Bridgestone Dueller Revo. They carry a 265 70R 17. I have had the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and the Goodrich Long Trail TA's and a bunch of other tires all on my 3/4 ton Ford's but never really liked any of them to the point I would buy them again.

Check out 1010tires.com and look at the comments by buyers just like us and compare one to the next. By leaps and bounds the Bridgestone Dueller Revo beats them all.

I got mine last week and here is a tip. Bridgestone gave me a price as I walked in the door at $840 for four. I then took this bid and worked the internet for my best price at $760. Bridgestone then took this bid and offered me these tires for $740. So now I went to Discount Tire who does not carry the Dueller Revo's in stock but can get them in a day or two and they quoted me a price of $640. At this point I went back to Firestone/Bridgestone and said beat this price and I will buy here. They gave me a price of $649. out the door with all the warranties, mounted, balanced and tax included. So it pays to really shop hard.

Another note, I am from Colorado where the chances of having tire problems is higher because of my fishing and hunting activities on 4 wheel drive roads in the high country. I need a tire that is rated excellent in all conditions and one that I can get replaced in just about any medium sized mountain town. That is why I buy stock - can't figure out why so many want the biggest tires - it just creates problems in my world. Have a flat or break a tire on a log and just try to find a normal non-stock size tire except for Denver which is generally 100+ miles away. I know that I can get a 265 70R 17 in most medium sized mountain towns (like Craig, CO).

Last edited by Merton Leeper; 06-16-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Merton,

How many miles do you have on your Revos?

Old 06-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Talking reply to jj:

I have less than 500 miles on the Revo's but my research in 1010tires.com was based on 50 to 100 replys from persons who have either exceeded the warranty (50,000 miles) with them or persons who have driven several thousand miles. I can say that my truck feels better on the road (the tires seem softer but give me a lot of control at the steering wheel). Also, I have had the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and the Goodrich Long Trail TA's and the popular one with the S looking treads. The Goodrich tires both slipped on dirt roads with gravel and were not good on icy surfaces. They were terrible on gravel put atop ice in the Denver Metro Area - at all stop signs I slipped. Also, gravel on metro road surfaces in the summer made my truck slide - not much but if I really put the brakes to the floor - it would be like ice.

Also, the 1010tires.com site compared all other brands and you get all of the positive and negatives of all brands. The comparisons were made by persons who purchased the product or have purchased the product in the past.

Last edited by Merton Leeper; 06-16-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Merton,

I looked at 1010, but didn't see many people listing their actual mileage.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:26 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold that truck to my father in law a year ago. I put about 10k miles on them and wear looked good. I don't know how many miles are on my FIL's truck now, but they do seem to have more wear for (estimated) 20-25k miles than I remember the OEM ATS's that came on that truck or the BFG AT KO I have now with 20k miles. There is a 50k treadwear warranty on the Revo.

I don't think Revo's are worth $800 installed. $600 should be reasonable. I tihnk the prices have gone up a lot since they first came out as I only paid $575 installed for 265/70R17. Otherwise, the Yokohama Geolander AT +II is a great tire, similar lookng to Revo and a whole lot cheaper. That may be my next tire.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Thumbs up 1010tires.com reviews

Glad you are challenging my comments - that is the best way to make your own decisions. Please note:

On 1010tires.com there are:

46 Customer Reviews for the Bridgestone Dueller Revo's;
122 Customer Reviews for the Goodrich All Terrain TA's (S tread);
49 Customer Reviews for the Goodrich Long Trail TA's;
60 Customer Reviews for the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.

Within all of these review customers talk about other brands and why they either like or dislike the tire purchased. Customer satisfaction on the Revo's is way way higher than any of the other brands for trucks.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
APT,

Be careful with the Geo's. Great tire...while it lasts. Only got about 30K out of mine. And that was on my wife's truck. I doubt she was too hard on them.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks . . .

. . . for the information!

I hate to get away from Goodyear but, I have some issues with my local Goodyear Service Center, first when I asked them about tires they recommended Michelins and . . .

I just had the wife's 2000 Grand Marquis in for shocks, they refused to order the Bilstein shocks that are highly recommended on the Crown Vic / Grand Marquis site (also states that they are one of the only after-market shocks that work on these cars) and tried to talk me into Monroe shocks. Then they came back and told me that stiffer shocks would not make a difference on the car.

And, I had to take the car back after 200 miles to have all four tires rebalanced because they did not do it right the first time. After the road test they told me that it was all taken care of but could not tell me why it was not done right the first time.

So, after 40+ years I think its time for a change . . .

Old 06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Good Reviews . . .

Took the time today (at work) to read some of the reviews at 1010tires.com . . . some of the reviews are extremely detailed and quite eye-opening.

I saw that the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo had an overall rating of 4.6; the Michliens I was checking came in at 4.3; and the poor old stock Goodyear's at 2.7.

I am going to shop around for a deal on the Bridestones!

wild-mtn-rose,

Nice truck!

Merton Leeper,

Thanks for the reserch and the web site.

Quick Reply: Which tires . . .